starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLP Update

Default NLP Update

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Following a shoulder injury last year (humeral fracture, had to get a rod put in, really messed up my rotator cuff/bicep/tricep) I finally got back on the horse. I had lifted on and off for the prior year or two, but not much consistency beyond a few months at a time.

Started back lifting my own "program" that includes all the big lifts from SS but much more assistance exercises and such back in March. After a month, I decided to actually do the SS program instead of just reading about it.

While nothing all that impressive, these are the heaviest weights I've ever lifted so it's pretty exciting. In just over a month on SS I took my squat from 145 to 245, deadlift from 195 to 270 (grip was holding me back some, just switched to hook grip and feel like I'll be able to really pile on the weight quickly for the next 30-40 lbs here), bench from 135 to 165 (still fighting general fatigue and soreness in shoulder, but getting much better), and my OH Press from 70 to 110. I've gained about 15 lbs (since beginning of April and gone from 185 to 200, however I think about half of that is due to getting on creatine again). Going to start learning the power clean to incorporate into my routine here shortly. I've followed the program relatively close, some weeks 4 lifts (every other day), while there was a week I was only able to get one good lift in due to work travel. Squats are starting to feel pretty heavy for me, but without fail I haven't had an issue adding 5 lbs each lift. I have a feeling OH press is going to need to start micro loading here soon as well.

Anyways, I don't really "lift" with anyone or have any training buddies as its all done in my home gym, so I don't really have anyone else to share my progression with. Really glad I started the program, and look forward to continuing my progressions.

It’s inspiring to see commitment like this, and to see people discover the simplicity of the NLP.

We will stay tuned.

Push the deadlift to 320 as fast as possible, do not switch to the B phase of the NLP before you do.

Congratulations on your progress! It's tough coming back from a major injury and impressive that you are hitting lifetime PRs.

I know there's no perfect answer, but generally speaking, how far do you think I can take the hook grip on the deadlift before I need to explore the alternate grip (something I'm very skeptical of risk/reward due to my surgery) or straps?

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    I know there's no perfect answer, but generally speaking, how far do you think I can take the hook grip on the deadlift before I need to explore the alternate grip (something I'm very skeptical of risk/reward due to my surgery) or straps?
    The goal is to not let the grip be a limiting factor, there is not a sequence as far as I understand, you just choose based on pros and cons. A hook grip shortens the range of motions slightly and could be hard on your thumbs for a while. The alternate has the asymmetry problem on your shoulder plus the supine hand pushing the bar away and possible, but not likely, bicep tear, which could be solved by using it as little as possible. Straps are usually used for very very high weights, rack pulls, shrugs or haltings which you might to for more than 5 reps. Or if you have tiny fingers or something like that

Quite far.

This geezling pulled 440x5 with the hook. And those are modest numbers on this board.

Hook grip has never been the limiting factor in my deadlift; it feels like "infinite grip" when I deadlift. I've done 585 for reps hooking and don't do grip work beyond double overhand warmups and chins. My thumb has seen prettier days, though.

1655310082728.jpg

Anyway, who cares. Hook until you can't and deal with it when (if) you get there. I'm guessing it'll be in a long, long time, if ever.

I would add that hook grip does train grip strength.

starting strength coach development program
    There is always something satisfying about hearing these stories. Great job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast