starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NLP Update

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Quite far.

This geezling pulled 440x5 with the hook. And those are modest numbers on this board.
    My hook started failing for sets of 5 around rep 4 of 375. The bars at my gym are pretty thick in diameter and many are bent and rotate strangely when you pull, though. I just strap my workset now and do some double overhand holds after. I can hook pretty heavy for 1 rep, but have trouble with the longer sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Push the deadlift to 320 as fast as possible, do not switch to the B phase of the NLP before you do.
    Appreciate the motivation. I hit 300 today and don't see any reason I can't hit 320 next month. I did lay-off deadlifts a little bit (started substituting DL with Chins on Wednesday's) just to avoid overtraining.

My squat is now at 275, only 25 lbs behind my deadlift. Is it just me or does that seem like too small of a gap? What would you expect that to be at this point for me?

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    Appreciate the motivation. I hit 300 today and don't see any reason I can't hit 320 next month. I did lay-off deadlifts a little bit (started substituting DL with Chins on Wednesday's) just to avoid overtraining.

My squat is now at 275, only 25 lbs behind my deadlift. Is it just me or does that seem like too small of a gap? What would you expect that to be at this point for me?
    Gap between squat and deadlift really depends on your body morphology, starting weight for each lift, and how soon you reduce your deadlifting frequency. You do know you can add 10 lbs each workout for the deadlift for quite a while right? I only switched to 5 lb jumps around 370 lbs. Long orangatang arms also will have a bigger deadlift. Squat is much more prone to errors in my experience and often needs resets to accommodate a correction, especially if you learn without a coach. The deadlift is simpler to get right and needs fewer resets even when a form correction is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post

I would expect it to be at 320 at least. You can get there in two workouts, lift 310 your next workout, and 320 the workout after that one. Mind you, don't alternate, just pull heavy two workouts in a row.

Quick Update:

Started May 5 2022. 5ft 10inches. 187 lbs.
    Squat: 145
    DL: 195
    Bench: 135
    OHP: 70

Current: 209lbs
    Squat: 295
    DL: 315
    OHP: 119
    Bench: 185

Been really struggling increasing bench and OHP, even with microloading in 2 lb increments (1lb plates). DL and Squats have been going up very consistently, and I think there's still plenty of meat on the bone there!

For the first time ever, squatted with 3 plates on each side of the barbell. Great feeling! Curious to see if I'll be able to hit that next level at 405 at some point..

starting strength coach development program
    Just checking back in to update. Still milking out the NLP. 221 lbs. 325 squat, 375 DL, 200 BP, 140 Press.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12