starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift set of 5 suddenly stuck

Default Deadlift set of 5 suddenly stuck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,
    Todays workout I encountered something pretty strange. My deadlift for this day was 300x5, and when I went for the first rep, I couldn’t even break the off the ground with it. This seemed really strange, last weeks deadlift of 295x5 moved very well, and I felt like I had an extra rep in the tank by the 5th. I waited a few minutes and tried again with no success in even getting the bar of the ground.
    I went ahead and dropped the weight to 265 and still couldn’t break off the ground. It took dropping down to 205 to be able to seriously grind out a set of 5.
    Could this just be some kind of “off day”? We’ve all had days where things just don’t feel great, but this seems excessive. Worth mentioning I got a full 9 hours of sleep the night before, ate breakfast a couple
    Hours before the workout, and that my press I did before the deadlift went perfectly fine.
    Has anyone experienced a sudden sticking of this caliber before? This seems a lot more than just a “bad day” or even just getting stuck in my LP, seeing as 295 moved so well last week.
    Thank you

Sounds like a typical-strange bad day. This too will pass.

I have had days like that. Sometimes it’s a fluke and you’re back on track next time out.

If your grip was fatigued, or if 300 is starting to challenge your ability to hold the bar double overhand, you may benefit from learning the hook grip soon. Some lifters use a mixed grip. I’m not a fan, but that’ll be your call to make. I fee that the hook is more secure, comfortable (once you get used to it) and definitely feels more symmetrical.

What's your age and weight? I'm 58, 95kg (210lbs), and I was similarly baffled when the same thing happened to me.

Push with your feet for at least 2 seconds before giving up on the rep. When the weight gets heavy, the bar doesn’t always want to come off the floor right away. Be patient with it.

I’m 22, 5’7 165lbs, I’ve been gaining weight consistently from about 140 over the last year.

You've gained 25 pounds in a year? What's your hurry?

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

I hope I’m reading the sarcasm correctly, and should gain another 20~25 lbs?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by nathaneskridge View Post
    I hope I’m reading the sarcasm correctly, and should gain another 20~25 lbs?
    That's right, you'll need to gain more weight to sustain your LP at this point or you'll start missing reps and stalling. Probably closer to 190 is a good target at your height.