Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Downsides of lifting heavy?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    CommanderFun isn't fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    zft isn't male, like CommanderFun.
    Maybe so, but my tits are still smaller than his.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    As are your balls.

For me? Stuff hurts. Would it anyways? Probably, in different ways. Having to choose between making progress & putting more weight on the bar and other physical activities/demands. Finding new clothes that fit well. Friends & family & coworkers don't get it. Sometimes people are all ew I don't want to look like YOU, gross, that's not feminine.

But come on, lifting heavy & getting stronger is awesome! Doubly and triply so as you get old and most everyone around you is falling apart and cannot do much of anything but watch TV or scroll the phone.

I ruptured my quad tendon while squatting. I have seen a lot of Physical Therapists over the last six weeks. I have been told that squatting heavy is not good for older people (I'm 65) because, well, old. It has been suggested that I squat less (but no one can tell me the safe amount) or squat using high reps and dumbells, because, safer, even though hardly anyone ruptures their quad tendon weightlifting, and most do it playing basketball. I have been told repeatedly that the amount I was squatting was too heavy, that I was progressing too fast, or that 5lbs from the previous heavy day was too much too soon. The same guy who told me that squats are inherently dangerous and no one should ever do them also told me that Bill Clinton had ruptured his quad tendon going downstairs. According to him, mine happened because of squats, but Bill's because of genetics. Or was it politics? I'm not sure which.

You probably don’t realize that almost everyone here is laughing at you at this point , do you? Like, at you, not with you. You’re like a child who doesn’t have the sense to stay quiet and listen to the grownups talk, and maybe learn something. That’s become all too common these days. Ah well.

This would be more aptly written as "zft isn't fat, unlike CommanderFun".
    Every person who has ever called me fat was someone on the internet I've never met in person.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    CommanderFun isn't fat.
    Aww, that's nice of you to say. It's really all relative though. In the context of a bodybuilding show, I'd probably be a fat guy. In the context of the average person though? Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by mbdonner View Post
    I ruptured my quad tendon while squatting. I have seen a lot of Physical Therapists over the last six weeks. I have been told that squatting heavy is not good for older people (I'm 65) because, well, old. It has been suggested that I squat less (but no one can tell me the safe amount) or squat using high reps and dumbells, because, safer, even though hardly anyone ruptures their quad tendon weightlifting, and most do it playing basketball. I have been told repeatedly that the amount I was squatting was too heavy, that I was progressing too fast, or that 5lbs from the previous heavy day was too much too soon. The same guy who told me that squats are inherently dangerous and no one should ever do them also told me that Bill Clinton had ruptured his quad tendon going downstairs. According to him, mine happened because of squats, but Bill's because of genetics. Or was it politics? I'm not sure which.
    Same doc who blamed squats probably also never asked you if you took certain antibiotics that can make you more prone to tendon ruptures. I think Achilles’ tendons are more common, but you can hang a Volkswagen off that thing, so I’d imagine they compromise all your tendons.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Every person who has ever called me fat was someone on the internet I've never met in person.
    Same here!!! Me too!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    You probably don’t realize that almost everyone here is laughing at you at this point , do you? Like, at you, not with you. You’re like a child who doesn’t have the sense to stay quiet and listen to the grownups talk, and maybe learn something. That’s become all too common these days. Ah well.
    I rejoice in my immature proclivities. Maybe you should too!!

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    If the world is really as wonderful and serendipitous as it is in my child-like mind, surely one day we'll meet so I can tell you in person.

But let's be objective here: your log has you squatting in the low 300s on intensity day (we do the same program, isn't that cute?) and you weigh about 300. Unless you're truly a giant, you definitely have some extra fat. At any rate, my reply calling attention to your corpulence is mostly in jest; you just happened to be the (un)lucky convenient target.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Same here!!! Me too!!!
    Oh, I can fix that: you're fat. (We've met.) Who says I have no constructive contributions to this forum now?!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast