starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Downsides of lifting heavy?

Default Downsides of lifting heavy?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a firm believer in the countless benefits of strength training, and believe that whatever downsides may result from a training are vastly outweighed by the positives.

My question is.. what are the actual downsides, if any (assuming no overtraining, etc.) ? Assuming you are following a program like SS with proper form, nutrition, and rest, are there any negative side effects of strength training?

People who couldn't deadlift a salmon upstream will constantly tell you how you're doing it wrong and you're going to hurt yourself and how your joints will be fucked up when you get older. That's the biggest downside I've seen.

I got stretch marks in my groin, but that's not a big deal.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

The biggest physical downside for me is being too hot. I don't think I've been comfortable in a public space in years and I'm constantly sweaty; the lunatics here in Europe heat rooms to 25C+.

But that's a small price to pay for being strong.

My chair-sitting position options have reduced. I can no longer cross my legs one knee over the other. It's either ankle-on-thigh or plain old manspreading nowadays. Nobody tells you about this!

Having to buy new clothes is the biggest downside for me, but I guess it's a pro if one enjoys shopping.

I cant reach behind my back as far to scratch that itch...i now own a back scratcher !

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    I am a firm believer in the countless benefits of strength training, and believe that whatever downsides may result from a training are vastly outweighed by the positives.

My question is.. what are the actual downsides, if any (assuming no overtraining, etc.) ? Assuming you are following a program like SS with proper form, nutrition, and rest, are there any negative side effects of strength training?
    My knees are achy now and the thought of jumping down from something (like a small wall) makes me cringe. Some of it may be because of poor technique. Knee sleeves and tiger balm help a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    I cant reach behind my back as far to scratch that itch...i now own a back scratcher !
    Hahahah it is still theoretically possible, but you have to contort your arm hard. I usually scratch my back on walls and trees, like a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    The biggest physical downside for me is being too hot.
    I second that, and I'm not even that big by accepted SS standards.
    From early May to end of September, I don't seem to be able to cool off, anywhere; even cold shower give me relief for no more than half an hour.
    Also, no off-the-shelf bike gear fits properly, so I had to go made-to-measure.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Getting clothes that fit. I recently had a job where I had to wear a 3XL uniform. This was not because of me being fat, it was because I couldn't fit anything smaller over my wrists, neck, and shoulders. I could not button the collar on any smaller than the 3XL. So I had this giant empty cloth sack around my midsection because I didn't have the sort of waist this shirt was designed for. Lower body garments are even worse. Can't get pants and underwear that fit right over my thighs and glutes without getting something too big in the waist. Can't even get socks that fit well, the biggest ones I find are often too tight around my calves and are prone to ripping as I try to pull them on. Society seems to cater to very unhealthy people with large waists and twig limbs.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast