starting strength gym
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Downsides of lifting heavy?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Jovan probably didn't like your sense of humor.
    You are failing to fit in with the culture of this board recently (It is not multicultural).
    We value concision, directness and sharply satirical humor.
    Speak for yourself (although those things are all cool by me), I just value people not being assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Jovan probably didn't like your sense of humor.
    You are failing to fit in with the culture of this board recently (It is not multicultural).
    We value concision, directness and sharply satirical humor.
    I am just fanboying Rip, trying to get him to notice me and commend my mega belly.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Every person who has ever called me fat was someone on the internet I've never met in person.
    That's the internet. 99% of people who talk shit on line wouldn't say a damn thing in real life. That's in general, not speaking specifically about this thread.

Btw, I've seen one of your form check videos - I don't think you're fat.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    That's the internet. 99% of people who talk shit on line wouldn't say a damn thing in real life. That's in general, not speaking specifically about this thread.

Btw, I've seen one of your form check videos - I don't think you're fat.
    Yeah, I don't think so either. I mean No one's gonna mistake me for being "ripped" or "shredded", but I can step out of the shower, look straight down and see all the equipment. I'm just an unusually heavy motherfucker. Don't know what causes it, and don't feel like wasting money trying to find out just to satisfy my vain curiosity.

Derailing the thread a little but are there any health downsides to lifting heavy enough to be well past the average population? I'm sure there must be some, even smoking has some upsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Derailing the thread a little but are there any health downsides to lifting heavy enough to be well past the average population? I'm sure there must be some, even smoking has some upsides.
    There are issues I've heard with having too much muscle tissue for your body to handle and it puts too much strain on vital organs. But this seems to be something that only happens with PED use, the body itself seems to be self-regulating. When you get older and that becomes an issue, the body just kinda downsizes on its own. I guess if you go hog wild with the diet trying to get the biggest numbers on the bar and don't give any fuck at all about the scale or your body composition, it can have deleterious effects. But being "well past" the average population is not a crazy high bar to shoot for. Most people don't train at all, never have prior, and are very weak. Even most of the ones who go to gyms are not really putting up great numbers.

Pot-shot: the average population is not a good indicator of anything except malaise - witness T-levels.

Therefore I politely submit that the question is poorly formed.

If you drop a 550 bench onto your chest, it is probably a bigger deal than dropping 185. But we are almost all gonna be closer to 185 than 550 (other than zft), so…

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    If you drop a 550 bench onto your chest, it is probably a bigger deal than dropping 185. But we are almost all gonna be closer to 185 than 550 (other than zft), so…
    Yeah, there's that. But most people will never have to worry about even unracking a 500 pound bench. Hell if you can use 185 for work sets you're already well ahead of the average person. That's how weak people are. Maybe I'm just using a flawed dataset here. I've often wondered if there is something going on in my region that is making weaker people. The heaviest deadlift I've personally witnessed in any gym was a 525 double. Maybe it's all from those fuckloads of birth control hormones getting into the water.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Yeah, there's that. But most people will never have to worry about even unracking a 500 pound bench. Hell if you can use 185 for work sets you're already well ahead of the average person. That's how weak people are. Maybe I'm just using a flawed dataset here. I've often wondered if there is something going on in my region that is making weaker people. The heaviest deadlift I've personally witnessed in any gym was a 525 double. Maybe it's all from those fuckloads of birth control hormones getting into the water.
    You are from NYC, right? You need to move.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast