starting strength gym
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Downsides of lifting heavy?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You are from NYC, right? You need to move.
    Long Island. It's a little different, but we are very much stuck with a lot of problems the city causes (especially since those fuckers basically get to decide who our governor and senators are). It is also becoming extremely overpopulated. I know you probably have no context, but main street in my town during the day now is indistinguishable from what I'd expect to see in Queens, which is basically NYC but with less money and skyscrapers. I just wonder if that birth control hormones getting into the water thing really is a big factor. My numbers are not great, but at least based on what I see every day I could very well be one of the top ten lifters at the large gyms I work out at. I could probably count the number of deadlifts I've seen that were heavier than mine on one hand. If I didn't know how much other people manage to put up in other places I'd think I was pretty damn strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Derailing the thread a little but are there any health downsides to lifting heavy enough to be well past the average population? I'm sure there must be some, even smoking has some upsides.
    I haven't noticed any. I'm not super strong or anything, but I'd say I'm "well past the average".

The closest thing I can say is what Rip said in one of the podcasts - people "don't get it" when I say I have to go workout. "Why don't you just workout next week? You're at Cedar Point on vacation." "You've been busy for three days straight. Just relax for the rest of the day." "It's Christmas." Yeah, and it's also my pulling intensity day - I need to rack pull 645 and then volume squat, so I'm going to go drink some coffee, take a 200mg caffeine pill, take a shit, then go to the gym.

My family gets it now (or at least tolerate it), but the average person totally doesn't understand.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    As a fellow 62 year old female lifter with multiple sclerosis there is no down side for me. However, for my husband who is 68 and a self-professed lazy man, this is not true. He is stronger today than he was in his twenties. We are gloriously retired. But, while he is stronger, I now expect him to work harder. Honey, move those 80 lb retainer wall blocks because , you hunk of a man, I know you can. Honey, please unload the twenty 50 lb bags of soil I loaded into the car at the store because I know you can. Come with me Honey and load my zillion buckets of wood mulch into the car I have thoughtfully shoveled for you (and bring them where I want them when we get home). Honey, please pick my old afflicted heavy butt off the ground because I've fallen again and I can't get up. I crack the whip and there is nowhere to hide. That's a downside...and maybe also that he's been saddled with me for 42 years.
    Who was that bloke that said stronger people are more useful? When people ask me why I don't run I often reply that my wife has often asked me to move something heavy in the garden, but she has never asked me to run laps around it.

I think the only downsides for me have been a bit of tennis elbow, a bit of shoulder impingement, and a bit of a loss of flexibility. I'm not a giant, so don't suffer too much on the clothes front but stretchy jeans are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Yeah, and it's also my pulling intensity day - I need to rack pull 645 and then volume squat, so I'm going to go drink some coffee, take a 200mg caffeine pill, take a shit, then go to the gym.
    Taking that pre-gym shit can really avert disaster, especially on those pull/squat workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Yeah, there's that. But most people will never have to worry about even unracking a 500 pound bench. Hell if you can use 185 for work sets you're already well ahead of the average person. That's how weak people are. Maybe I'm just using a flawed dataset here. I've often wondered if there is something going on in my region that is making weaker people. The heaviest deadlift I've personally witnessed in any gym was a 525 double. Maybe it's all from those fuckloads of birth control hormones getting into the water.
    My local gym in a town of 9,000 on the Texas coast must be an outlier. Most people who bench all work up to 135 and most 185. It’s not uncommon to see a normal “ bro” repping 225. One individual just last week was pausing 315 on incline…. the deadlifts I was doing began to feel a lot lighter after seeing that. I think with the football culture in Texas barbell weight training still creeps into the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    My local gym in a town of 9,000 on the Texas coast must be an outlier. Most people who bench all work up to 135 and most 185. It’s not uncommon to see a normal “ bro” repping 225. One individual just last week was pausing 315 on incline…. the deadlifts I was doing began to feel a lot lighter after seeing that. I think with the football culture in Texas barbell weight training still creeps into the general public.
    I have seen a guy doing 315 inclines, at the first gym I trained at. It wasn'y a big franchise place, it was more a spot that was really popular with a lot of juicy bodybuilder types. Guy in question though, was a retired powerlifter. Lotta guys there probably COULD have pulled really big deadlifts if they wanted to and trained them. Biggest deadlift I saw in that gym was 405...but the guy was doing them for sets of ten.

Long Island. It's a little different, ...
    Commander, where are you on the Island? I'm in Garden City on the west side, lifting at Siege in Mineola.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    I wonder if it's just a Texas thing. I have a feeling that I'd be at least 20% stronger were I from Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Commander, where are you on the Island? I'm in Garden City on the west side, lifting at Siege in Mineola.
    Much further east. Smithtown out in Suffolk County.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    I wonder if it's just a Texas thing. I have a feeling that I'd be at least 20% stronger were I from Texas.
    If you were from the parts of Texas that most people would associate with Texas' reputation for being Texas, probably. The big cities, probably not so much.

starting strength coach development program
    Much further east. Smithtown out in Suffolk County.
    hahaha, not that far. I work out in Farmingdale.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast