starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why You Won't Do the Program | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wow really Rip can lift a 180 kg DL for 5 reps. Now I respect him even more. I know many retired lifters who at their 60s canīt do even with 100 kg for singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    You people need to work on changing the things you fantasize about.
    Honey, why would I fantasize if it's my reality?

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Honey, why would I fantasize if it's my reality?
    You claim you are not fantasizing about oiling up hairless, young men at a bodybuilding show?
    I don't know, man. I just don't think it's believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
    2.) Lack of "upper back work/volume/prehab/injury risk mitigation/etc." in the program. This seems to be a big deal in a lot of the fitness circles I learn from and a big criticism of the SS program. I personal feel my upper back got much stronger through doing the SS program than 100 reps of banded or rope face pulls by just supporting a couple hundred pounds in the low-bar position for three sets of five. However, I have heard the importance of directly training the upper back so much that I question how important this type of work really is and if not utilizing these methods is being irresponsible in programming for clients. I also feel that my recent deadlifts above 250 lbs work the upper back quite well, and that although I can't tell how much lumbar/thoracic flexion is taking place to get in position to pull from the floor, my upper back and posture seem to be doing great. Apparently, not including these movements over time on a program like SS will result in a lack of balance caused by the internal rotation of the bench press/overhead press and no external rotation movements to "balance out" the pullressing ratios.

Question: Is there enough work done in these movements to "balance" out these muscles, particularly of the shoulder/upper back being worked in the program to contribute to long term joint health and injury risk reduction?
    I don’t know if these have been covered on a podcast I haven’t listened too yet but you’ve answered a few of your own questions:
    “. I personal feel my upper back got much stronger through doing the SS program than 100 reps of banded or rope face pulls by just supporting a couple hundred pounds in the low-bar position for three sets of five.”

Question answered yourself.

Question: Is there enough work done in these movements to "balance" out these muscles, particularly of the shoulder/upper back being worked in the program to contribute to long term joint health and injury risk reduction? “
    What do you mean by “balance out” muscles? Once you have an answer, I have a follow up question for you. Is the imbalance between the muscular strength in legs compared to the arms a problem for those reasons stated above?

Why You Won't Do The Program 7: Rip is Too Pink

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    You claim you are not fantasizing about oiling up hairless, young men at a bodybuilding show?
    I don't know, man. I just don't think it's believable.
    I always thought the oil looked gaudy; I like my men natural.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Part 5: Rip is Fat

And after all, why would you listen to a fat man tell you about a fitness program? Aren't fit people skinny? Isn't that the point of exercise – to get skinny, like in high school?

Read article
    I always chuckle to myself when people say stuff like, "I'm back to my high school weight." Awesome, you're proud that as a now full grown man you're the same size you were when you were 17. Well done? I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    ...I like my men natural.
    Well, at least you have changed your mind on whether or not it is worthwhile to fantasize about abs.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh come on! I was sold, fired up, bought the book, read it twice, got my log, all sorted, even bought a couple more weight plates for when I hit a 300kg dead, and then you ht me with this. Rip is Fat. But but but...he is! I cannot argue it. I thought I had found it... THE ANSWER. And you destroyed my dreams, cut off my wings, pulled the rug...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234