starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why You Won't Do the Program | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    There is that video mash up of big name bodybuilders all benching 400+ pounds for low reps, which should put the hypertrophy training line to rest: Bench Press Ronnie Coleman Dorian Yates Kai Greene Phil Heath Big Ramy Roelly Winklaar Kevin Levrone - YouTube
    Jovan, you naive man. They obviously got big first and strong later, duuuh
    Plus they used steroids, cool kids go natural!

There is that video mash up of big name bodybuilders all benching 400+ pounds for low reps, which should put the hypertrophy training line to rest: Bench Press Ronnie Coleman Dorian Yates Kai Greene Phil Heath Big Ramy Roelly Winklaar Kevin Levrone - YouTube
    Right. It's not that bodybuilding is a sham, the way people think bodybuilders train is just wrong, mostly. People think they're "pumper toners" or "all show and no go" or that all they do is cable pushdowns and concentration curls but that's wrong. Bodybuilders at a level high enough to be called bodybuilders are, for the most part, strong as shit. They do the same exercises we do as part of their training. You can't get that big without, at some point in your career, lifting heavy weights and being strong.

It won't. Just like those people won't notice things like Jay Cutler's clip of the video has him not sporting highly visible, defined abs. These people want to strive for the fantasy, don't understand that bodybuilder physiques are more like roller coasters, as is how they train. A lot of them are training very much like strength athletes in the off-season when they bulk. I've read a number of theories about the utility of high rep sets for bodybuilders, I even have one of my own. But I don't think it's because it makes your muscles bigger than getting them stronger with lower reps will. I tried enough of that stuff in high school to no avail to know that's not the answer.

Part 5: It Doesn't Work Fast Enough

You can explain things to the general public at any level of detail you're prepared to spend the time on, and it won't matter. A certain body of information is codified in the Conventional Wisdom at a very deep level, placed there carefully and painstakingly through every aspect of the media, for purposes of selling bullshit to customers.

Read article

Someone sent me an article today from a somewhat popular online strength coach, and this is a direct quote from the article:

"Does lifting more weight make someone stronger, or does someone get stronger and then lift more weight?"

Their conclusion was the latter.

The article, that question, and their answer aren't worthy of discussion, but after reading that I just wanted to express gratitude for the thoughtfulness and clarity brought to strength training by Mark and SS. Sometimes we take the SS content for granted, when it really is quite the exceptional product.

I would summarize it like this: SS is the "red pill" of weight training. And not everyone is ready for that.

This whole series is so true. People will only believe what their already programmed to believe. Not all of course. But logic has seemingly left this country some time ago. Diet for weight loss and resistance training for muscle gain just doesn't seem to make sense to many people. But truth seems to have bypassed the general public. Pretty dad actually.

Part 5: Rip is Fat

And after all, why would you listen to a fat man tell you about a fitness program? Aren't fit people skinny? Isn't that the point of exercise – to get skinny, like in high school?

Read article

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    It won't. Just like those people won't notice things like Jay Cutler's clip of the video has him not sporting highly visible, defined abs. These people want to strive for the fantasy, don't understand that bodybuilder physiques are more like roller coasters, as is how they train.
    It's not a fantasy. It's absolutely possible to have abs doing SS/TM properly (i.e., eating enough); don't forget the stronger you are, the stronger your abs are and the bigger they are.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    It's not a fantasy. It's absolutely possible to have abs ...
    You people need to work on changing the things you fantasize about.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast