Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
Sure, here is the dataset that NASA prepared for the AP statistics exam. I worked through this at one point. Not sure I could do it again without preparation. </p>

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/593948main_...ntainingBD.pdf

There is a better reference for this which I am trying to dig up with an actual NASA lab director talking about why you need a 2x-3x squat to maintain bone density. I'll find that eventually. But in the interim, the Wired article about ARED and why its necessary to more accurately simulate an actual squat is pretty good.

High-Tech Weights for Space Workout | WIRED
This is from 2013.

Resistive, Targeted Exercise Reversed Astronauts’ Bone Loss, Study Finds - SpaceNews

You squat, you deadlift, even if you live in microgravity, you don't lose bone density. I am still digging up more references. But NASA spent billions of dollars of taxpayer money to rediscover SS:BBT and find a way to do it on the ISS and then generate all kinds of collateral about their great invention. Admittedly finding a way to be able to do something awfully close to the barbell lifts in space is somewhat smart. But settling on squat, press, deadlift for low-volume high-intensity isn't really so ingenious.

The iRED was installed in 2000, SS:BBT came out in 2007?, and the aRED was installed in 2009. '

I guess it doesn't matter how much data you have, though, people will "do anything" to improve their health except the one thing that works (lift heavy ass weights)