Thread: Fat and getting fatter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Get even fatter
    Best comment of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but 5'9" 180lbs does not qualify as fat. 5'9" 160lbs doesn't meet any definition of overweight. Meanwhile this is somebody who *doubled* their starting numbers in three months and isn't happy?!
    I had a 31 inch waist at 5’9’’ 185. I have a 36 inch waist at 240 and I am actually fat. The 40 inch waist is a big tell, as is the fact that this magical series of events is the OPs first post. There obviously exists a segment of the population angry enough at this board to keep coming up with these strange stories. I applaud the effort. The typical problem is, they don’t read books, so they suck at character development.

Mr Beale still applies: NETWORK, Sidney Lumet, 1976 - The Tube Lies - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    I'm struggling to picture 5'10" at 182 lbs with a 40 inch waist. I'm struggling even harder to picture you at 160 lbs at 5'10" and "still being fat". There's no reason for a guy your height and weight to be switching to less than 5 lb jumps on this press before it even hits 135. Get a form check in the technique forum. I'd run your diet by Santana too. Whatever is going on with your bodyweight sounds unusual unless your diet consists of 90% fast food and cookies. Are you eating 200g protein/day and mainly whole foods? I'd focus on getting your squat up to 300 asap, too.
    Thanks for the advice. I’ll get my form checked. I don’t track my protein intake, but I focus on eating something high in protein every few hours. I for sure don’t get 200g of protein per day, but I doubt that could fully explain my quickly-diminishing progress on the upper body lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I had a 31 inch waist at 5’9’’ 185. I have a 36 inch waist at 240 and I am actually fat. The 40 inch waist is a big tell, as is the fact that this magical series of events is the OPs first post. There obviously exists a segment of the population angry enough at this board to keep coming up with these strange stories. I applaud the effort. The typical problem is, they don’t read books, so they suck at character development.

Mr Beale still applies: NETWORK, Sidney Lumet, 1976 - The Tube Lies - YouTube
    Very funny. Yes, I exist, and, no, I do not hate this board. Unless I am stupid enough to be incapable of measuring my waist correctly, I do have a 40-inch waist.

Quote Originally Posted by daa View Post
    Just measured my waist at 40”.
    Pics or it didn’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Plano View Post
    Cease and desist. I fear under-belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Plano View Post
    I don't know what the OP measured or thinks they measured. Waist is not pants size but is usually larger by only a few inches. I'm 5'8", 188lbs. I have the large starting strength belt for a 35" to 45" waist. I am on the smallest notch and it's not quite tight enough. I either need to hit the weights more and eat bigger or buy a smaller belt. At one point in life, I was the wrong kind of 195lbs. And I can tell you that I never approached a forty inch waist. I really struggle to see how this is physiologically possible.

FWIW I'm 5ft 8.5" and I weigh 191lb now. This gives me a body fat of ~15% (depending on how accurate you think withings scales are). This is at 51.

I'm not sure how you could be fat at 5ft9 and 160lb unless you literally are just bones and fat with no muscle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    I don't know what the OP measured or thinks they measured. Waist is not pants size but is usually larger by only a few inches. I'm 5'8", 188lbs. I have the large starting strength belt for a 35" to 45" waist. I am on the smallest notch and it's not quite tight enough. I either need to hit the weights more and eat bigger or buy a smaller belt. At one point in life, I was the wrong kind of 195lbs. And I can tell you that I never approached a forty inch waist. I really struggle to see how this is physiologically possible.
    Waist size is measured around the belly button, isn’t it? I don’t have access to a tape measure right now, but my 30-inch inseam jeans fit around my waist, so a waist size of 40 inches seems quite plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I'm not sure how you could be fat at 5ft9 and 160lb unless you literally are just bones and fat with no muscle at all.
    Looking back at some pictures, I think I misjudged. I guess I only felt like I was still fat at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    FWIW I'm 5ft 8.5" and I weigh 191lb now. This gives me a body fat of ~15% (depending on how accurate you think withings scales are). This is at 51.

That would suddenly make a 270 deadlift pretty impressive

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by daa View Post
    Waist size is measured around the belly button, isn’t it? I don’t have access to a tape measure right now, but my 30-inch inseam jeans fit around my waist, so a waist size of 40 inches seems quite plausible.

Looking back at some pictures, I think I misjudged. I guess I only felt like I was still fat at that time.
    This is why coaching is recommended. You are able to look at your physique somewhat objectively when examining a picture of the past, but at the moment you believed you were fat. A good coach can bring you some real time objectivity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast