starting strength gym

Thread: CPAP therapy

Default CPAP therapy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hi Ray, finally had my sleep study, report said i have severe sleep apnea (i think <5 events per hr is good, i had 54 !)
    Anyway, i've been on this CPAP for couple of weeks now, still struggling to get used to it, all the paraphernalia, tried different masks, there has been no game changer, life changing moment for me yet like others seem to have. Just cant fall asleep with all the gear (can only handle it for a few hrs, before ripping it off). I guess ill persist for a bit longer. I'd be interested if anyone else has taken a while to adjust to this therapy.

When I first got my CPAP unit, I started with the mask that covered both nose and mouth. Turns out I'm a nose breather, so that didn't work out too well. Switched to a nasal cushion, which was a definite improvement. Problem with the particular cushion I used (ResMed N30i) was that the vents on the front of the cushion did not diffuse the excess air at all, so the air would blow out directly on my arm or hand, depending on my sleeping position, which was distractring and uncomfortable. Then I found the nasal pillow (Airfit P30i), which has a diffuser for the air vents and also has a more positive fit to my nostrils, much improved comfort. The headgear I use (DreamWear frame) has the air hose attachment on the top of my head. I don't think I would be able to use those that come straight out from the nose. With the top of the head arrangement, I don't even notice the hose.

Once I got the right mask, I don't recall having any real problem falling or staying asleep (it's been 3-4 years). I am definitely sleeping better, as is my wife, as I no longer wake her up with my snoring and am much less tired during the day than I was before I started using the CPAP. I had hoped the better sleep would have a positive effect on my elevated blood pressure, but it didn't, so I take a couple of medications for that.

Good luck!

thanks Rob for your feedback, I've tried nose pillow ones, I actually prefer full face as there is no contact with nose or mouth and hence feels more natural to me (even with all the extra gear), but the hose does come out the front which doesn't feel right. I'll check out that dreamwear you mentioned and see how i go.

For me, the CPAP didn't cause a night and day difference (no pun intended), but after consistent use for about 6 weeks I noticed that I wanted to get up and out of bed right when I woke up, which hadn't happened in years.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

It's a pain in the ass to get used to. After a few full nights of use, you should be feeling a marked difference. If not, you'll need to mess with your machine settings. When you do an in-clinic sleep study, they measure brain activity as it correlates to your cpap setting. Getting that dialed in correctly is important to a full night of deep sleep. The auto functions seem to work pretty well, but if it's not working for you I recommend an in-clinic study.

starting strength coach development program
    cheers, thanks Ray & Ryan