starting strength gym

Thread: Switching Alternate Grip to offset imbalance

Default Switching Alternate Grip to offset imbalance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    I have heard that using alternate grip on deadlift can lead to muscle imbalances for one reason or another. Are there any rationale against switching my grip each deadlift session? So one week the right hand is supinated, and the next week the left hand, in order to avoid any of these ‘imbalances’?
    Thank you

You'll find your answer at about the 4:00 mark of this video: BroScience: How to Deadlift

I think you're risking limiting your pull by being inconsistent. If you are really that concerned, to avoid imbalances use double overhand for warm ups or light day work. You're not going to want to vary your heavy pull set up every other week. I use alternate grip and my arms and shoulders appear to be the same size as each other.

You don't need to alternate. Just keep the same hand supinated, you'll be fine.

If you're super worried, just hook grip or use straps.

Quote Originally Posted by nathaneskridge View Post
    Hello,
    I have heard that using alternate grip on deadlift can lead to muscle imbalances for one reason or another. Are there any rationale against switching my grip each deadlift session? So one week the right hand is supinated, and the next week the left hand, in order to avoid any of these ‘imbalances’?
    Thank you
    The rational is that although you have heard that using alternate grip can cause imbalances, there isn't actually any evidence to support such an assertion. I can tell you some other gym lore that I've heard over the years. It might also be useful for other forum readers who are having trouble sleeping but otherwise wouldn't contribute to productive training.

Most lifters are stronger with the non-dominate hand in the supinated position and the dominant hand in the pronated position. The rational against switching each time is that you might fail reps when using the weaker position that you could have hit with the stronger position and slow your progress. However, for most people the difference is only a few kilos. So if your biggest shortcoming is that you are switching your grip back and forth, I guess you are doing really well with the deadlifts.