starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toughest part about getting big and strong on your own?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For me the toughest part of doing NLP alone was not knowing what was next. As the weeks progressed I started to realize there was a wall coming up and what happens when I hit that wall. This is where a SSC was really helpful in guiding me through the programming changes to become a more advanced lifter. Could I have figured it out on my own? Likely not as elegantly as what my coach has taught me.

In my opinion, if you needed SS to get you started on the path of strength training, then you are likely going to need some professional assistance as you progress. If not, then you are likely to quit or get stuck in mediocrity.

Each of us is wired differently. For me, the challenge has been Consistency.

Not too long after NLP, you'll reach weights that, for you, are HEAVY AF. You will eventually HATE a lift or two. I HATE "heavy" squats. There's an older coaches podcast where Rip et al basically say...if you are doing the program correctly, you'll eventually hate the lifts. "Heavy" is not fun...until the session is complete; then you love it. It's a very odd process that takes Hate/Dread as input and outputs Love/Pride.

The moment life gets difficult (for example, an illness or death in the family), your subconscious will USE that opportunity as an excuse to take a "little time off". That week off can easily extend into a year.

Watch for it. Don't let it happen to you. No matter what, keep going in there and at least maintain.

This is probably a bigger challenge for those who lift alone without a coach. Minimally, go to an SS camp once in a while. Once you get screamed at by Grant Broggi, you'll always have that booming voice in your head to recall when needed.

I've been pretty successful on my own so far. Basement gym, no coach, no training partners. Getting video form checks here on the board or in the SS facebook group was really helpful.

The hardest thing is lacking the experience or the imagination to apply the principles and outlines of PPST to my individual situation. Like Rippetoe says, the intermediate and advanced programs in the book are just examples. I've done a lot of programming by trial and error, which would be unnecessary with a coach. I've found some things that work for me, but I am still struggling to progress my deadlift. Andy Baker's blog is helpful in showing some practical applications of programming beyond what's in the book.

I think something that held me back was not understanding how to grind out a tough rep. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. I "missed" reps towards the end of my NLP that I now know I could have made. Having a coach standing there would have helped, maybe. I didn't really understand the reality of a 5 second grind on a squat, for instance until I started doing heavy singles, and it was eye-opening. Definitely could have gone a little further on the NLP before switching to intermediate if I'd understood that.

I'd have to say one of the biggest challenges has been making objective decisions about my training without a base of prior experience to draw from. It's hard to make the call when to do things like slow down the weight jumps, alternating in power cleans, add the light squat day, and so on. Even in post-novice programming this is a problem. When you run out the texas method the first time, when do you shift the reps per set down on intensity day? You're supposed to avoid failure, but it can be really hard to guess where that's gonna be. It's tough to know how to tackle these issues until you've already tackled them for yourself or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I'd have to say one of the biggest challenges has been making objective decisions about my training without a base of prior experience to draw from. It's hard to make the call when to do things like slow down the weight jumps, alternating in power cleans, add the light squat day, and so on. Even in post-novice programming this is a problem. When you run out the texas method the first time, when do you shift the reps per set down on intensity day? You're supposed to avoid failure, but it can be really hard to guess where that's gonna be. It's tough to know how to tackle these issues until you've already tackled them for yourself or someone else.
    This is why experienced coaches are valuable.

For me it's maintaining squat form while adding weight. I film every set and give myself cues before I take the bar out but going blind on what to do to keep form from deteriorating mid-set is psychologically hard when the weight is heavy.

Mostly all the pooping. Some days I don't even bother getting off the commode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is why experienced coaches are valuable.
    Yep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    For me the toughest part of doing NLP alone was not knowing what was next. As the weeks progressed I started to realize there was a wall coming up and what happens when I hit that wall. This is where a SSC was really helpful in guiding me through the programming changes to become a more advanced lifter. Could I have figured it out on my own? Likely not as elegantly as what my coach has taught me.

In my opinion, if you needed SS to get you started on the path of strength training, then you are likely going to need some professional assistance as you progress. If not, then you are likely to quit or get stuck in mediocrity.
    I had a similar experience. NLP was not very difficult "on my own", but I hired a coach for the next stages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast