starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Masters athletes on TRT?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Allowing the use of TRT would mean that almost everyone would need to use it in order to remain competitive. In addition, when someone tests positive for an excessive amount of enhancements, expect the excuse to be that they aren't doctors and had no idea that they were over the limits. As someone who was a two sport athlete in college, has family that has won individual national championships, and is now powerlifting, I understand the desire for competition. Although there are no options for those using TRT in many sports, at least in powerlifting there are opportunities to compete in untested federations.

In some cases, the difference in endorsements and performance money for winning instead of placing one or two spots lower in huge. Decades ago, Martin Zubero, who lived and trained in the US and to the best of my knowledge was clean, was paid a million dollars for winning a Gold medal for Spain. The money that Lance Armstrong received, a least a part of which might have made its way to other cyclists, if he hadn't been winning unfairly for so many years.

I am aware that my beliefs about using banned substances differs from some people on this forum. To me, people who win Olympic and World Championship medals are suited to athletic completion even if they are unwilling to cheat to win. Since there are large incentives to do things that will enhance one's performance, I believe those who compete fairly should be respected rather than mocked.

Unfortunately, there are few, if any, drug free sports and even those in this country that do use steroids are still at a disadvantage internationally. In some countries, there are very developed strategies for using banned substances and the risks of punishment for doing so while competing at home are at most minimal. Although steroids make their way into US athletics, it is an individual choice rather than a team or national federation making the decision. As such, drug use will never be as ubiquitous or as controlled in this country as it may be in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    The money that Lance Armstrong received, a least a part of which might have made its way to other cyclists, if he hadn't been winning unfairly for so many years.
    Here's your problem, Logan. Do you honestly believe that the rest of those cyclists weren't doing a bunch of PEDs too? Seriously? You don't seem to have a grasp of the situation in competitive athletics.

With a few exceptions, an athlete who lacks the will to work as hard, long, or effectively as others or lacks suitable self-discipline regarding diet and recovery is not suited to elite athletics. Using PEDs simply substitutes a lack of integrity for hard work and natural ability. There are plenty of athletes who were very successful without cheating, as well as athletes who would have been great without steroids but used them anyway and got caught.

I don't follow cycling, but even though I have suspicions, I don't accuse people of cheating without proof.

I won't trade insults with you or debate who has a better understanding of competitive athletics. It's you forum, so feel free to delete my account.

With a few exceptions, an athlete who lacks the will to work as hard, long, or effectively as others or lacks suitable self-discipline regarding diet and recovery is not suited to elite athletics. Using PEDs simply substitutes a lack of integrity for hard work and natural ability.
    This is just not true. Absolutely not true, and it conveys a Sports Illustrated-level of understanding of competitive athletics. And you should know by now that I do not delete accounts just because the poster is wrong.

I am sure you believe that. Please delete my account

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Here's your problem, Logan. Do you honestly believe that the rest of those cyclists weren't doing a bunch of PEDs too? Seriously? You don't seem to have a grasp of the situation in competitive athletics.
    I remember during that scandal reading about a cyclist who basically always ranks last in those races claiming everyone was on PEDs and such EXCEPT him. My first question was, "how far behind everyone else was he finishing?"

The athletes that use steroids aren't less dedicated, they're more. If you're not using drugs, are you really doing everything you can possibly do to be the best you can possibly be? The steroid guy is trying harder.

I am aware that my beliefs about using banned substances differs from some people on this forum. To me, people who win Olympic and World Championship medals are suited to athletic completion even if they are unwilling to cheat to win. Since there are large incentives to do things that will enhance one's performance, I believe those who compete fairly should be respected rather than mocked.
    If everyone is cheating, then no one is cheating. If everyone is cheating, and you're not, you're just a fool.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Bingo! Lance was stripped of his TDF wins because he was an asshole, not his ped use. His wins were not allocated to anyone down in the standings because the UCI knew that they couldn't find someone clean.

Here's a quote from Lance's main competitor (winner of TDF in 97 and two Olympic medals) Jan Ulrich:

""Yes I did undergo Fuentes' treatments," Ullrich told Focus. "Almost everybody back then took performance-enhancing substances. I didn't take anything which the others were not taking. For me, betrayal only begins when I gain an advantage, but that was not the case."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast