starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Masters athletes on TRT?

Default Are Masters athletes on TRT?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It seems quite easy to get TRT in the US. Does that mean that I should expect Americans that I compete with in CrossFit Masters divisons to be on testosterone? Or do they risk failing a drug test if it comes to that?

1. TRT is easy to obtain in the US.

2. You should expect anyone in an athletic competition -- and even a CrossFit competition -- to be doing anything necessary to win, if pushups and burpees are that important to them.

3. Is CrossFit drug-tested now? Why?

I believe CrossFit does test but it's like the IWF tests. That is, they do but it doesn't matter...unless you're the mid packer they use as an example to show how anti doping they are.

Quote Originally Posted by No insect View Post
    It seems quite easy to get TRT in the US. Does that mean that I should expect Americans that I compete with in CrossFit Masters divisons to be on testosterone? Or do they risk failing a drug test if it comes to that?
    I know nothing about CrossFit drug testing. IWF and IPF both allow therapeutic use of testosterone replacement therapy. You have to apply and receive approval for a TUA prior to starting the therapy and must document medical need. In the case of TRT, that will mean lab work showing low testosterone. Also you might still get denied for a TUA if you've had prior infractions. Basically if the medical reviewer concludes that your past steroid use is a proximate cause for your low testosterone, the TUA will be denied even if the lab work would otherwise support it.

There are already other cynical posts about lax enforcement et cetera about which I can't comment.

The CrossFit games has a TUA process. I know nothing more about it than one can find using Google.

But yes you should expect that at least some athletes will have a genuinely needed TUA, some will have a creative obtained TUA, and some will hope not to get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    There are already other cynical posts about lax enforcement et cetera about which I can't comment.
    The corruption of the IWF is well known. Bribes and using testing to control the outcome of contests was normal for a long time. For example, lifter A from Wherever-istan will not beat Chinese lifter B unless lifter A wants his whole team to be suspended for positive drug test results.

I don't think CrossFit goes that far but the top Games athletes will never test hot, publicly anyway. One of the athletes, I think it was Fitkowski or Velner (sp?) said in an interview that the reason CrossFit isn't tested by a known testing agency like USADA is that USADA considers CrossFit a brand, not a sport.

I lift in the Masters powerlifting division and to my knowledge TUAs are not granted by USAPL, USPA or IPL. Even lifters who have had testicular cancer aren't immune from the ban. Since the USPA has an untested division, that would be the appropriate place for someone using HRT.

From the USAPL: "It has come to our attention that there is a rising trend in physician-prescribed hormone therapies for both men and women which contain banned anabolic steroids such as testosterone or methyltestosterone. Some of these incidences have been described as therapeutic, or more commonly, “replacement therapy” for patients who have experienced diminishing or lost production from hormone-producing organs.

After consultation with medical staff of the USOC, lifters using any banned substances prescribed by a physician, who test positive, will be subject to suspension of the same term and under the same conditions as would any other individual. No lifter will be granted a waiver for use of such substances or a waiver of testing based on the statement of need from a physician. No reductions of suspension will be granted for documentation of medically-prescribed use of banned substances. Those who are receiving such treatments as hormone replacement therapy are encouraged to seek alternatives that will be consistent with allowed medications as published by the USOC/IOC. Failure to do so will result in sanctions through USA Powerlifting."

From the USPA: "Those lifters on a doctors prescribed Hormone Replacement Therapy or HRT will not be allowed to lift in the tested division. We will not be allowing any Therapeutic Use Exemptions or TUE's at this time."

Roughly 10% of lifters are tested in the federations I am familiar with. In a meet with a Masters division, with the exception of world or national records where testing may be required, it is rare for older lifters to be in the top 10% of competitors. Even a 250 kg deadlift for a 70 year-old, which would be an enormous achievement, would not be in the top 10% of all lifters based on Dots at a National championship at a large federation.

Since I don't compete IWF or CrossFit, I don't want to comment of those entity's TUE policies.

Once one gets into Masters III (60 plus), it's not unheard of for the winner at USAPL Nationals to have a total that is lower than the qualifying total for the Open division.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    I lift in the Masters powerlifting division and to my knowledge TUAs are not granted by USAPL, USPA or IPL. Even lifters who have had testicular cancer aren't immune from the ban. Since the USPA has an untested division, that would be the appropriate place for someone using HRT.

From the USAPL: "It has come to our attention that there is a rising trend in physician-prescribed hormone therapies for both men and women which contain banned anabolic steroids such as testosterone or methyltestosterone. Some of these incidences have been described as therapeutic, or more commonly, “replacement therapy” for patients who have experienced diminishing or lost production from hormone-producing organs.

After consultation with medical staff of the USOC, lifters using any banned substances prescribed by a physician, who test positive, will be subject to suspension of the same term and under the same conditions as would any other individual. No lifter will be granted a waiver for use of such substances or a waiver of testing based on the statement of need from a physician. No reductions of suspension will be granted for documentation of medically-prescribed use of banned substances. Those who are receiving such treatments as hormone replacement therapy are encouraged to seek alternatives that will be consistent with allowed medications as published by the USOC/IOC. Failure to do so will result in sanctions through USA Powerlifting."

From the USPA: "Those lifters on a doctors prescribed Hormone Replacement Therapy or HRT will not be allowed to lift in the tested division. We will not be allowing any Therapeutic Use Exemptions or TUE's at this time."

Roughly 10% of lifters are tested in the federations I am familiar with. In a meet with a Masters division, with the exception of world or national records where testing may be required, it is rare for older lifters to be in the top 10% of competitors. Even a 250 kg deadlift for a 70 year-old, which would be an enormous achievement, would not be in the top 10% of all lifters based on Dots at a National championship at a large federation.

Since I don't compete IWF or CrossFit, I don't want to comment of those entity's TUE policies.

Once one gets into Masters III (60 plus), it's not unheard of for the winner at USAPL Nationals to have a total that is lower than the qualifying total for the Open division.
    IWF specifically uses the example of low testosterone caused by previous anabolic steroid use as a situation where a TUE would not be granted. I am more familiar with IWF rules than IPF or CrossFit. But based on your comments, I looked a little closer. It seems that IWF uses the same medical evaluators as IPF so my guess is the situation is similar. You can apply for a TUE but it will be unconditionally denied.

I guess the only thing you can get a TUE for is ADHD medicine, apparently. I was considering competing Masters1. I'll have to get my testosterone checked next time I get lab work done and based on the result make a decision between any competitive aspirations and my long-term health. Yikes. thanks for the post

At the 2008 IPF Masters World Championships, 9 of the 36 lifters tested positive for banned substances. Although I won't speculate about what they tested positive for, I am comfortable stating it is unlikely that everyone that tested negative was clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    At the 2008 IPF Masters World Championships, 9 of the 36 lifters tested positive for banned substances. Although I won't speculate about what they tested positive for, I am comfortable stating it is unlikely that everyone that tested negative was clean.
    On the bright side, whenever you and I have a conversation, I always find myself learning something new and interesting. It was hard to get things in the same units but apparently the "reference range" (Rip has already commented on this) for males is 0.5 to 2.4 nmol/L. Per IPF, if your testosterone is below 0.433 nmol/L, you qualify to participate as a female! And if you're between these numbers you are SoL?

Before you all run off and change your registrations, there seem to be two numbers, total testosterone and free testosterone. It would be good if somebody more knowledgeable could confirm my numbers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    IWF specifically uses the example of low testosterone caused by previous anabolic steroid use as a situation where a TUE would not be granted. I am more familiar with IWF rules than IPF or CrossFit. But based on your comments, I looked a little closer. It seems that IWF uses the same medical evaluators as IPF so my guess is the situation is similar. You can apply for a TUE but it will be unconditionally denied.

I guess the only thing you can get a TUE for is ADHD medicine, apparently. I was considering competing Masters1. I'll have to get my testosterone checked next time I get lab work done and based on the result make a decision between any competitive aspirations and my long-term health. Yikes. thanks for the post
    I believe some asthma medications are allowed. The problem with allowing TRT is it would become necessary for almost every adult lifter at the top levels. Also, it would be abused. Mark's guess was that I might recover 1/2 the strength I've lost in the past several decades if I made the change. Since that would mean adding hundreds of pounds to my total, I would have an enormous competitive incentive to find a doctor that would find a reason to prescribe it. I have a few more years of competition left after which I will be looking here for advice on HRT.

I mentioned the IPL, which is affiliated with the USPA, and left out the IPF. Since USAPL is at not currently working with the IPF, the rules for a US lifter qualifying for World’s have changed. Previously, US lifters were selected based on performance at USAPL Nationals and everyone selected had to pass a drug test with no TRT exemptions. Unless one comes from a country which has the same or looser rules than the IPF regarding TRT, a lifter is largely bound by his or her national federation’s rules. For “recreational” lifters the IPF uses the lifter’s federation’s decision. For “international” lifters the IPF decides. Since the USAPL determined the qualifying criteria and didn’t provide such accommodations, it didn’t matter that the IPF might allow them.

If you decide to powerlift, the USPA and some other federations have non tested divisions. Overall, the judging at USPA meets I watched or participated in has been fair. I've only seen one lifter get a pass for a clearly high squat. He was 75 and competing in his first USPA meet and they let one by and red lighted the other two lifts.

Health first. Always happy to share what I've learned about lifting over the years. I appreciate your comments as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast