starting strength gym

Thread: Another Look at Halting Deadlifts | Nick Delgadillo

Default Another Look at Halting Deadlifts | Nick Delgadillo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When you go from doing deadlifts as the main pulling movement in your program to a partial range of motion exercise like rack pulls, you intentionally overload a part of the full range of motion of the parent exercise. Depending on the situation, doing so can reduce overall stress in your program while still allowing you to pull a very heavy weight.

Read article

Thanks Nick.
    This an excellent follow-up to many forum posts and website articles on adding haltings and rack pulls into a program.

Great article, Nick.

I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't hate haltings. Why are they so universally hated?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post

I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't hate haltings. Why are they so universally hated?
    Maybe it's because most (all?) other Starting Strength recommended exercises require the trainee to move the bar from position A to position B in the most anatomically efficient way possible, given the mechanical constrictions of the exercise. The halting deadlift requires the trainee to strenuously inhibit their effective range of motion during its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyboy View Post
    Maybe it's because most (all?) other Starting Strength recommended exercises require the trainee to move the bar from position A to position B in the most anatomically efficient way possible, given the mechanical constrictions of the exercise. The halting deadlift requires the trainee to strenuously inhibit their effective range of motion during its performance.
    This is why Haltings are an assistance exercise and not a primary movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyboy View Post
    That might be right, but I don't think so, because I've met people who hate haltings while also doing them like half a deadlift. Then after I teach them how to do them right, they still hate them just as much.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    That might be right, but I don't think so, because I've met people who hate haltings while also doing them like half a deadlift. Then after I teach them how to do them right, they still hate them just as much.
    You are right, Andrew. I disliked haltings when I was doing them like half a deadlift too, so it has to be more than just the awkward mechanics. Maybe it's also something to do with their incompleteness. You're giving up when you're half-way there, with no definite end-point or lockout - unlike the rack pull, which everybody loves. Maybe haltings are just not as satisfying as other lifts?

They definitely work, though.