starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New barbell on the way..

Default New barbell on the way..

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After about 3 months of the NLP my fitness gear chrome bar from Dick's with a capacity of 300lb is no longer enough for my DL & Squat. I ordered the Starting Strength bar from Texas Power Bars just over a month ago, but still haven't gotten a shipping notification. In any case, it should be here soon, and I was wondering if anyone noticed a big difference in the difficulty of lifts going from clearly a junk bar to what I understand to be one of the best out there. Would you keep on the NLP as planned, repeat the last workout, or even take a little bit of weight off the bar to adjust to the new barbell? I'm hoping I can keep on going as planned without any hiccups, as I would imagine the new barbell should only make things easier, not more difficult.

These may be terrible questions, but my only experience lifting (outside of random bench pressing here and there in HS) has been with this cheap barbell, and I've never used a high quality barbell.

The biggest difference you'll notice is that you won't think about the fact that you're lifting a bar. You won't be distracted thinking "Is this thing bent and rolling?", "This knurl sucks", "This feels like the nut is going to come undone. I hope it's okay". You don't think about any of that. You just get to lift.

Just treat it like it's the same bar.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    After about 3 months of the NLP my fitness gear chrome bar from Dick's with a capacity of 300lb is no longer enough for my DL & Squat. I ordered the Starting Strength bar from Texas Power Bars just over a month ago, but still haven't gotten a shipping notification. In any case, it should be here soon, and I was wondering if anyone noticed a big difference in the difficulty of lifts going from clearly a junk bar to what I understand to be one of the best out there. Would you keep on the NLP as planned, repeat the last workout, or even take a little bit of weight off the bar to adjust to the new barbell? I'm hoping I can keep on going as planned without any hiccups, as I would imagine the new barbell should only make things easier, not more difficult.

These may be terrible questions, but my only experience lifting (outside of random bench pressing here and there in HS) has been with this cheap barbell, and I've never used a high quality barbell.
    In your first sentence, I going assume you are just north of 300# on squat and/or deadlift (310# or so).

Squat, you'll probably notice nothing.

Deadlift, I assume that shit bar in 30mm or something. A lot of those lower end chinese made bars are thicker, make up for the fact they're made out of poor quality steel. So gripping a proper barbell (SS bar is 28.5mm IIRC), the grip will feel more secure for sure.
    Maybe you'll have a little more whip (a 30 to 32mm bar, even though made from shit steel, are really stiff),
    but then again at 310 lbs any flex, and therefore any mechanical advantage, at the initial pull off the floor is almost nil.

If you are one of the few non-pussies doing your powercleans, I'm sure you'll appreciate the SS bar (sleeves rotate better).

Press? probably no difference at this stage in the game.

Also take note: the knurl marks, rings, smooth area, etc. on your Dick's bar probably do NOT conform to any IWF or powerlifting standard whatsoever.
    Lay the two bars centered next to each other and translate where you've been taking your grip(s) to the new SS bar.

You may also want weight your current bar to make sure it is the 20kg you think it is.

The cheap shit I got during covid turned out to be 16kg not 20kg, which caused me a “stall” when I continued to add weight to the heavier bar.

Not what you asked but if you also got your plates where you got your bar, the 45's may be smaller than standard as well. On the department store set I had, the 45's that came with it were substantially smaller. I was doing a deficit deadlift every time. May not be the case with yours but thought I'd mention it.

The fitness gear plates are a smaller diameter (about an inch) than the 450mm standard. This means that deadlifts will be about a half an inch longer (radius = 1/2 diameter) As far as I know, there's no physiological/anthropomorphic reason for plates to be 450mm. It's just a size that was chosen. If there is a concern about that, you can just add a 1/2" stall mat or piece of puzzle mat under the plates to make up the difference.

The "300lb sets" that you buy at places like Dick's (Cap, Fitness gear, et cetera) have only one set of 45lb plates. All of the rest of the weight is smaller denominations. This can be a minor problem if you deadlift less than 135lbs. But it's also a problem when you deadlift more than 205. If you look at the picture on the box, the weight is "cantilevered out" so that you have a 300lb total. But when the barbell touches the floor, all of the impact is absorbed by the 45lb plates only. Those are cast iron and aren't going to damage.

But with a good barbell, deadlifting this way is a terrible idea. The impact isn't distributed along the length of the needle bearings. Instead there is no pressure on most of the bearing and a much higher pressure on a small part of the bearing. I don't know the OPs financial position. We all bought some pretty embarrassing equipment during the pandemic. But even now that things are available, equipment isn't cheap.

And I don't speak for the manufacturer of the Starting Strength barbell and whether that type of usage is considered acceptable. Maybe the barbell is so good that it can handle that type of load out.

But better (and more) plates are going to be needed at some point. If possible, it would be best to sell or find another purpose for the 45lb plates which came with that set and to buy 4x45lb of quality plates. The smaller Fitness Gear plates can still be used for increments. Which plates to buy? It he OP will realistically ever deadlift more than 500lbs, some quality cast iron plates should be considered. If not, some decent bumper plates might be a better choice.

Of course the OP may not know and they didn't post their age/height which would be helpful here. And, of course, this is now a thread that is more appropriate in the Gyms/Equipment forum

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Not what you asked but if you also got your plates where you got your bar, the 45's may be smaller than standard as well. On the department store set I had, the 45's that came with it were substantially smaller. I was doing a deficit deadlift every time. May not be the case with yours but thought I'd mention it.
    I never even considered that, but after checking, my 45lb plates are 15.5" diameter compared to the standard 17.5" diameter. Looks like I've been doing the same thing..

Since i've already got 3 sets of 45's with these same plates, do you think it makes sense to get 1 set of a different brand that are 17.5" and use those plates on my deadlifts along with the smaller ones to get that elevation?

I never even considered that, but after checking, my 45lb plates are 15.5" diameter compared to the standard 17.5" diameter. Looks like I've been doing the same thing..

Since i've already got 3 sets of 45's with these same plates, do you think it makes sense to get 1 set of a different brand that are 17.5" and use those plates on my deadlifts along with the smaller ones to get that elevation?
    The single, properly sized plate on each side would then be bearing the stress of the whole thing, vs. it being spread-loaded across all of them. If you cannot upgrade to all regular sized 45's for the deadlift, it would probably be cheaper to shim up with segments of mat and/or wood until you can upgrade all the plates at once. Stall mat is 3/4" - not all of the 1" discrepancy for the plates, put plenty close.

Capt. Broggi's plates are not cheap, but they are as excellent as the bar you're getting: Olympic Iron Barbell Plates - Made In USA – The Strength Co.

What you *don't* want to do (for purposes of not damaging your equipment) is to mix different size plates. All of the force is then transmitted to the barbell via just the contact area of only the largest diameter plate. This puts unnecessary pressure on one small section of the bearing rather than distributing it along the entire length. That's a recipe for the sleeves no longer spinning smoothly.

Since you already have 3 sets of the 45s, if pulling the extra inch bothers you (you still haven't mentioned your height), put a piece of stall mat or puzzle mat or even some 1" thick boards underneath the plates when you deadlift.

At some point, if your deadlift gets much about 385, you will have to decide if you want to buy another set of the Fitness Gear 45s (hopefully you can get them used for cheap) or sell the ones you have and buy four sets of proper 45s.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, maybe I’m a bit ocd, but I have a question. Does all this apply to Olympic bars only? Or bushing bars as well? In outfitting my little training studio (2 racks) I’ve noticed that the second set of plates are of slightly smaller diameter, in spite of being both Standard Barbell plates, with a slightly different finish. Bars are pretty high quality, but bushing bars. All good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast