starting strength gym

Thread: What Does It Take To Be An Olympic Weightlifter? | Jim Moser

Default What Does It Take To Be An Olympic Weightlifter? | Jim Moser

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I get asked this question a lot. The answer is: start early. The first thing that you need to understand is that the best time to learn the technique needed to be a World Class weightlifter is between the ages of 5 and 10. The body is extremely elastic, and bad habits have not yet taken hold. If there are any bad habits, they are easily corrected. The mind is very easy to train at this age. It is at the first stage of the three stages of learning.

Read article

Good article. The learning and performance stages of the old trivium educational model are a helpful mental model even for older and experienced lifters.

I’m no expert on current educational thinking, but I hope some of the SSC’s who are trained as teachers will write about such thinking that they use. Much of current-day educational thinking is just terrible, but there are useful concepts. For example, I’ve found John Sweller’s cognitive load theory helpful as I’ve been learning to lift for a few years with only rare help from an SSC. It provides a vocabulary that can help a lifter manage their subjective thought processes so that technique and effort suffer less from distraction. Here’s a link for anyone who may be curious:

https://www.educationcorner.com/cognitive-load-theory/.