starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strong Enough for Older Lifters

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Oso,

Not to be trite, but your standards are what ever you want them to be.

What do you have time for; what is your level of commitment/passion; what's your "why".

I'm never gonna be David Ricks "strong", but I'm still training/competing for the next PR because I love training and competing (even though I'll never get close to Ricksian numbers).

67 y/o
    S:165kg
    B:97.5kg
    D:227.5kg

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    You're an inspiration, sir. Sincerely.
    Thanks, I appreciate that and could certainly say the same thing about you, given your injury history and other limitations you mention. Keep pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Hey Oso,
    ... but your standards are what ever you want them to be.
    Brown Dog,
    If you notice I never said my standards are up for modification. I'm just curious of what is out there. Training at 60 in a power lifting gym is about as lonely as lifting alone. I out-age every other lifter on the platform by 20 years, so there are no other references than here on the board. And even those are few.

Rip and SS have made it their mission to get more people into strength training, so many, if not most of us, know nothing other than what we have learned here and under the bar.

It seems that if one has a long term goal then you would still be "training" regardless of age.
    The goal usually being more weight on the bar, even 1 lb more.

If the goal is to get tired then Rip says you are "exercising" which is fine but runs the risk of detraining and not remaining at your desired "strong enough" level.
    If I'm not pushing my personal ceiling at least once a week or two, then I'm probably moving backwards.

I'm almost 70 (189#) and have a 1+,2,3,4 plate goal for work sets. The 1+ is cleans as my shoulders are a wreck and my overhead press is non-existent. My two plate bench might be a rough go because of the joint damage but I'm at 205 now.

My training used to center around being "strong enough" to get elk quarters packed off the mountain during hunting season but I've achieved that so I just look at weight on the bar now.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    For a younger man
    BW press, 1.5 BW bench, 2 BW squat, 2.5 BW deadlift.
    Older man 75% of this.

PS. this is totally arbitrary and has absolutely no value whatsoever to anything

I think above is a decent standard for most. I will probably never quite make the press or bench, but will keep at it.
    6' 1" 230 56, could stand to lose 15-20 pounds
    I do intermediate Madcow right now, but only bump up the weight every other weak
    Bench 205 x 5
    Squat 315 x 5
    Dead lift 385 x 5
    Press 135 x 5

I had a few life incidents that set me back several times. On one had, I kinda feel weak and disappointed for as dedicated and as long as I have been at it. On the other hand, look around at our society and I don't feel quite so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Brown Dog,
    If you notice I never said my standards are up for modification. I'm just curious of what is out there. Training at 60 in a power lifting gym is about as lonely as lifting alone. I out-age every other lifter on the platform by 20 years, so there are no other references than here on the board. And even those are few.

Rip and SS have made it their mission to get more people into strength training, so many, if not most of us, know nothing other than what we have learned here and under the bar.
    Back in the day, lifted next to a guy 60 years old who I saw snatch 275 I believe it was, routinely. No one was respected more in the gym - not because of his lifting - but because he would actually sit and talk to us punks in between busting his ass, and was also a pleasure to talk to. If you’re not getting respect at that gym, even for just being in there busting your ass, time to move on if you can (especially if it’s a powerlifting/black iron type of place).

My only standard is to keep getting under the bar. Yet again back to NLP. Doing heavy, light and medium work outs. Adding 5lbs on heavy days. Many setbacks of various sorts over the years some physical some mental. The hardest was a severe back injury that "doctors" wanted to operate on. Said no way. Got serious about lifting. That fixed sciatica nerve damage to my foot--had drop foot problems. After that was double knee replacement surgery. Their so called physical therapy was a joke so I told them Thanks, but no Thanks. They had no idea what strength was. Then Covid which did a number on my lung capacity. I'm 71 now and still playing. Downhill skiing, mountain bike riding, and driving my sports car like a maniac for hour and hours at a time. I'm 5'8", 220lbs and have a belly just like Rip who is a bonafide hero in my book. I'd be dead if it were not for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    If you’re not getting respect at that gym, even for just being in there busting your ass, time to move on if you can (especially if it’s a powerlifting/black iron type of place).
    No, no, no, ,this is a great place to lift. If anyone lives in Nassau County NY I've got a great gym for them. Earlier this year I made it a challenge to deadlift heavy for my upcoming birthday. I set sites on three wheels for sets and then set some programming to achieve it. A couple of the young kids saw my banging away on deadlift and ask what was the plan. I told them for my birthday. All of a sudden there are three other guys deadlifting hard to hit their goal for their birthday. I eventually hit 350 for sets which was nothing to their objective, but it really made it fun to train.

I know a lot of guys like to lift on their own at home, but I like the comradery of a bunch of guys working to hit their goals. And there are even a couple of gals banding heavy weights to get stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    No, no, no, ,this is a great place to lift. If anyone lives in Nassau County NY I've got a great gym for them. Earlier this year I made it a challenge to deadlift heavy for my upcoming birthday. I set sites on three wheels for sets and then set some programming to achieve it. A couple of the young kids saw my banging away on deadlift and ask what was the plan. I told them for my birthday. All of a sudden there are three other guys deadlifting hard to hit their goal for their birthday. I eventually hit 350 for sets which was nothing to their objective, but it really made it fun to train.

I know a lot of guys like to lift on their own at home, but I like the comradery of a bunch of guys working to hit their goals. And there are even a couple of gals banding heavy weights to get stronger!
    350 for reps, while you're in your 60's is nothing to scoff at. Well done!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David in Arizona View Post
    Standards are nonsense for old people. To many life events interfere with an individuals ability to perform lifts. I’m 72 and have been following SS for about 7 years subsequent to a motorcycle accident and the resultant rehab. At 205 lbs I d/l 275, squat 225, press 115, and bench 160. I am happy with these numbers and expect they will go up slowly. I don’t care about anyone else. I like my results and feel good that I can throw my 7 year old granddaughter into the air for somersaults in the pool.

If you need a benchmark use the 1,2,3,4 with 25 lbs plates on each side of the bar.

I have attended a self sufficient lifter camp at WFAC and treasure the experience of having had Rip and Nick correct my form.

My goal is to be stronger than before and remain injury free. So far so good.

Benchmarks are for kids. Wanna feel strong? Go to a public gym and watch the over 60 lifters. They are very few and very weak.

David
    This guy. He gets it. As you age, all the benefits of a life well lived have a say in your training.
    Cumulative injuries, arthritis, random bouts of skin cancer, etc all contribute.
    Look for the small wins: full range of motion, that feeling when the post workout Tylenol kicks in and the shoulder pain goes away.
    The knowledge that you are stronger than the much younger guys in work.
    Strength training becomes more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge.
    Less focus on numbers and benchmarks and focus more on the long game.
    When in doubt, read “The Barbell Prescription”.

Great thread!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast