starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strong Enough for Older Lifters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Strong enough is each persons own personal decision. We have all heard about the 2, 3, 4, 5 club for males in their prime years. I've never heard of a standard or standards for older lifters. For all of you older lifters, what is your personal standard for strong enough and what age range.

I'm in my early 60s and my standard until I'm 70 is to squat at least as much as my body weight, so for now 195 and deadlift 100 pounds over my body weight, 295 at the moment. Once I turn 70, I may need to adjust these standards, but I've never been 70 before so I don't know.

What are your standards?
    Just now, a Class I total of 808.5 lbs. in order to be able to qualify for USPA/IPL Drug Tested Nationals and Worlds.

Since you are surrounded by powerlifters, you might take a look at the results for various federations meets in your age and weight class, raw divisions. To get an idea of what to expect or exceed, look at the older divisions. Once upon a time Lon Kilgore's age adjusted strength standards in the elite category followed placers and winners in powerlifting meets pretty closely. But they seem have been memory holed from the internet these days, can't seem to find them. Also, they cut off at age 65, so that's a potential limitation on what you might want to know in later years.

If you want to get an even broader look at where your peers are, relative to the main three lifts, Powerlifting Rankings (Powerlifting Rankings) has some good sort categories to reflect your particular situation and practices, raw and tested lifters and tested federations being some good starts to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    ... Since you are surrounded by powerlifters, you might take a look at the results for various federations meets in your age and weight class ...
    This is something akin to saying look at D1 college football to measure your athletic abilities. Most all of the results I've seen are about 80% more than what I'm lifting, which says either I'm way too weak, or they are outliers in the great average of physical ability. This is why I asked here, rather than from the competitors. The guys and gals around here are mostly just working to be strong enough to success at daily life. This is the practical definition of strong enough, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    This is something akin to saying look at D1 college football to measure your athletic abilities. Most all of the results I've seen are about 80% more than what I'm lifting, which says either I'm way too weak, or they are outliers in the great average of physical ability. This is why I asked here, rather than from the competitors. The guys and gals around here are mostly just working to be strong enough to success at daily life. This is the practical definition of strong enough, IMHO.
    Thought the same thing until having form fixed at an SS seminar over 10 years ago now. But was surprised after actually looking at those numbers and totals already mentioned. Don't dismiss the possibility out of hand until you actually check out what you might beat.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 61 and my best recent lifts are as follows: Squat 350 x 5, 413.5 x 1(meet), Bench Press 225 x 4 ,245 x 1 (meet), Deadlift 405 x 5, 485 x 1(meet), Press 165 x 5, 195 x 1 (gym). I currently compete as a master 3 in the USPA and hold the NJ state records in all three lifts and total and ranked #11 nationally in Masters 60-64. I'm currently training for next years nationals. I follow a 4 day split spread out over a nine day week. Training revolves around 1 set of 3-5 in the major lifts, a medium single for practice, and some back offs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123