starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting Shoes for Long Femurs

Default Lifting Shoes for Long Femurs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve been lifting in my old Vans ever since I’ve started my LP and I think I’m long overdue for an upgrade. My only question is whether or not I should buy a shoe with a heel or buy a flat shoe. I’ve read articles from Rip saying that long-femured individuals would benefit from a flat shoe due to excessive knee travel that long femurs naturally cause. I’ve also heard people say the complete opposite, and that if you have long femurs you should opt for a shoe with a higher heel, 0.75 inches minimum.

I don’t really have any mobility issues limiting my squat depth, and squatting in Vans has been working well despite the compressible sole, which has got to go.

What should I be looking for in a shoe? Am I just overthinking shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
    I’ve read articles from Rip saying that long-femured individuals would benefit from a flat shoe due to excessive knee travel that long femurs naturally cause. I’ve also heard people say the complete opposite, and that if you have long femurs you should opt for a shoe with a higher heel, 0.75 inches minimum.
    This is a simple geometry problem. What is your analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a simple geometry problem. What is your analysis?
    My analysis is that relative to my tibias, my femurs are quite long and that I already produce a fair amount of forward knee travel in the squat. Therefore, a raised heel would be disadvantageous for my anthropometry.

I agree.