starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Angry

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    I live in the UK- not sure what things are like around the rest of the world but there is an absolute breakdown of society here with woke policing and schooling.

Yes I have had a check of my testosterone as well as some other bloods I’m waiting on results.

Looking at my question again I have realised that I don’t need to commit exclusively to either strategy- maybe do some boxing or BJJ and some meditation they aren’t mutually exclusive.

Has anyone found this has happened as they got older? You always picture the angry young man mellowing but I think your eyes open more to the world as you get older and you become more aware of the idiocy that surrounds you.

Thanks to you and coach Rip for taking time to answer

I found that as I've gotten older I am much less patient. Not so much with what I see others doing but more when those people are wasting my time. I'm a few months away from 60.

Its tough. I think i get over how angry the modern world has made me, but then i hear the latest hypocrite take from the left on monkeypox, or maybe even just spot someone wearing a mask at the grocery store, and i start getting mad all over again. I think if today's world doesnt leave you profoundly disturbed in some way its you who has a problem.

Bjj and intense exercise can be very useful; can really curb your ego and mellow you out. I don’t find I get this as much with strength training alone.

I’d also recommend reflecting on your life. I got a “useless” psychology degree—according to Rip and I don’t totally disagree; just bought a intro to physical sciences textbook last night actually—but that degree plus experience in psychoanalysis has taught me a lot about the mind.

The mind is an amorphous, mysterious thing. Your anger may have less to do with others and more to do with you. How is your job? Your marriage? Your relationship with your kids? Are you fulfilled in life? Is your boss an asshole? Do you have financial stresses?

You don’t need to share all your personal stuff, but the point is you may have issues lingering in the back of your mind that need to be dealt with. It is possible the anger from these issues manifests when dealing with idiots in public (a psychoanalytic concept called “displacement”).

I have found, psychological understanding aids managing problems of the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Its tough. I think i get over how angry the modern world has made me, but then i hear the latest hypocrite take from the left on monkeypox, or maybe even just spot someone wearing a mask at the grocery store, and i start getting mad all over again. I think if today's world doesnt leave you profoundly disturbed in some way its you who has a problem.
    No truer words ever spoken. If this doesn't piss you off daily, you are either low-T or not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It also has to do with the bullshit being continually thrown at us, that we are just supposed to deal with because we're expected to not be "assholes."
    Totally makes sense based on what he said.
    Burning off aggression, like he put it, could work just fine. Training to practice almost killing somebody seems to make you more peaceful.
    I think it comes down to managing stress levels. You either get adapted to it, or somehow you lower the stress.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you at all. Just like Commander and Mark said, there's lots to be irritated about. And assholes get on your nerves because you're probably a nice guy that doesn't bother anyone and it pisses you off when others try to impose themselves on you when you're just minding your own business. Am I close?

You are fine and normal. Advice like “your mother didn’t love you enough” is exactly the same as “your mother loved you too much”. It’s not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with you at all. Just like Commander and Mark said, there's lots to be irritated about. And assholes get on your nerves because you're probably a nice guy that doesn't bother anyone and it pisses you off when others try to impose themselves on you when you're just minding your own business. Am I close?
    Yes you are very close. I read elsewhere on the forum about “the man who wanted to be left alone” and I’ve just reread it and it really hit a nerve again. I may look in to BJJ but I am still progressing with strength training so smoothly I must have a lot of newbie gains to still exploit so will hold off a little longer.

I'm 43 M wife 2 kids work fairly long hours with moderate stress levels.
    That's a lot of responsibility and stress for a man to carry in these f*cked up times. I think your frustration / anger is pretty normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Caffeine...cut it wayyyyyy back. I found theobromine to be a less explosive stimulant. Also, bring *good* music into your life.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Masks send me into kill mode instantly. it is so funny, I find myself giving murder looks to 90 year old grannies, the poor things.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast