starting strength gym

Thread: A 730 Pound Deadlift at Age 24 | Starting Strength Gyms Podcast #27

Default A 730 Pound Deadlift at Age 24 | Starting Strength Gyms Podcast #27

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Ray Gillenwater talks with Chase Lindley, aka the Vanilla Gorilla, about how he found Wichita Falls Athletic Club and the many lifting milestones he's accomplished.

• 02:05 - Chase's current PRs and how he found WFAC
    • 04:38 - Back to the beginning
    • 11:01 - Chase's early milestones with lifting
    • 24:12 - How Chase thinks | learning new things
    • 30:00 - Where would Chase be if he didn't become a Starting Strength Coach
    • 36:20 - Chase's plan for the future
    • 41:19 - Chase Lindley lifting tips
    • 51:14 - How lifting has helped with diabetes
    • 56:51 - Fun Rippetoe story

Awesome episode! Chase is an incredibly normal dude. We need more people like him.

Enjoyed the podcast, especially at 49:10, where Coach Gillenwater says: "The hard work on the deadlift . . . you've got to put in a lot of hard work before you even start the pull. Right, this is another thing I didn't understand until I went to a seminar. And in fact, I wasn't really putting much effort at all into squeezing my chest up and flattening my back. And I remember on the platform in Atlanta, years back, I was being taught by a Starting Strength coach to extend my chest harder to get that cascade effect down my spine to straighten my whole back. And I did it so hard and for the first time that I actually popped a rib."

Funnily enough, I recently learned how this works up close and personal. Tentative good news is that I (1) couldn't feel it any more after two weeks, (2) gingerly trained through it and (3) deadlifted 315x5 again inside of three weeks. Hopefully there won't be any setbacks (on this particular incident, no promises otherwise!).