“Maximal loads are your 1RMs in the basic lifts. For a 200-pound male of average height, a 1.75x bodyweight squat, a 2x bodyweight deadlift, and a .75x bodyweight press constitute a well-developed strength base.

Although this isn't considered "strong" by competitive lifters, it represents a level of strength that's attainable by 95% of male trainees in a few short months of reasonably efficient training on the lifts.”
- Mark Rippetoe - “Conditioning is a Sham” (Conditioning is a Sham)

I’ve heard numbers like this thrown around for years, and I believe them. The problem? Believing them makes me incredibly depressed because I have never been able to get anywhere near this, despite working this (and other programs) several times.

Background: I am currently 50, but I started lifting at 44. I have done SS 3 times, TM once, PPL twice and 5/3/1 once during that period. None of them ever really worked because I frankly ever ate enough. I used to ride at about 165-175lbs and my lifts all stalled at way lower levels than listed about. Looking at my workout logs from 2019 which was about midway through all this (on 5/3/1 at the time), I was squatting 175lbs, deadlifting 215lbs, Benching 115lbs, and pressing 105lbs. Sad sad sad.

So, returning to lifting after the pandemic, I decide to do SS right. I’m sleeping 7-8hrs a night (according to my fancy wrist device), I’m eating 3000-4000 calories a day and have in the 2 months I’m on SS now gone from 175lbs to 205lbs. I’ve also had my form checked on all lifts multiple times and have needed minor, but only minor adjustments. And believe I now have good form.

My lifts today? Squat 190lbs, Deadlift 200lbs, Bench 125lbs, Press 85lbs. WTF? And I should mention I just failed on my Bench at 125lbs so I’m dropping back to 120 the next time. I can feel both the Squat and Deadlift are reaching maxes and my Press is nearly maxed out.

So, once again, I am going to fail to meet even minimal strength standards. Many charts list numbers larger than mine for completely untrained lifters. I’m literally the only person without 45s on the bar at the bench area. A girl next to me front-squatted more than I do yesterday. I have no anomalies like diseases or injuries or second-heads or anything like that. I have a reconstructed elbow, but it works fine other than preventing me from cleaning due to range of motion issues.

I’m not really asking for advice because I’ve read all the articles, tried all the recommendations already. I’m just lamenting and wondering if there are others in the wilderness who also feel weak-ass and despite sincere efforts to improve, do not.

Honestly, I wish I didn’t believe in Starting Strength because then I’d be much more willing to place the blame on the theories behind this program. Fact is though, I do. I’ve seen and read it work on others.

Sincerely,

Weak Ass Mofo At The Gym