starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a genetic ethnic lineage that is considered weaker on average?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I'm just trying to understand what I should look for here. If I look at the etimology of "indian" online, I get this same explanation, plus the wrongful use of the term for native american tribes and some asian populations in the past.
    If you are referring specifically to native american tribes in the 1800s then using the term indian can make sense as an historical reference.
    But as I said, if Dodds had told you he was "indian" you would've though he was from India, not America. It depends on the context, of course.
    And I never said it was an offensive term either, just to be clear. I just think it's wrong, even if the person doesn't mind being called that.
    Why do you think it’s wrong? I just think historically speaking, Indian is the defacto term for Native Americans in North America. In Canada we have “The Indian Act” and “Indian Status Cards”. Indian is just a more informal term to reference Native Americans. Rip would be able to tell the difference of an Indian and an East Indian by context given

Wow you guys got really hooked in that one huh?
    Still, he called himself Native American, not Indian lol

So why are those people in Asia called "Indians" too?
    I'll take the compliment, thanks.
    I'm probably just bored as well.
    I sure as hell don't think I know everything, in fact I don't know most things, that's why I make assumptions or ask questions.
    But I realize this terminology topic is not that important. If I'm told to cut it out, I will.

I just see the term "indigenous", "native american" and "pre-Columbian tribes" used to describe what you would call "indians". So I don't get it.
    Anyway, I don't wanna waste more of your time, Rip.
    Meh, it doesn’t bother me, but it isn’t my forum.

I just see the term "indigenous", "native american" and "pre-Columbian tribes" used to describe what you would call "indians". So I don't get it.
    Anyway, I don't wanna waste more of your time, Rip.
    Be a little more persistent and you’ll find what you’re looking for, Francesco-me boy:

“Europeans at the time of Christopher Columbus's voyage often referred to all of South and East Asia as "India" or "the Indias/Indies", sometimes dividing the area into "Greater India", "Middle India", and "Lesser India". The oldest surviving terrestrial globe, by Martin Behaim in 1492 (before Columbus' voyage), labels the entire Asian subcontinent region as "India", named ultimately after the Indus River.

Columbus carried a passport in Latin from the Spanish monarchs that dispatched him ad partes Indie ("toward the regions of India") on their behalf. When he landed in the Antilles, Columbus referred to the resident peoples he encountered there as "Indians", reflecting his purported belief that he had reached the Indian Ocean. The name was adopted by other Spanish and ultimately other Europeans; for centuries the Indigenous peoples of the Americas were collectively called "Indians" in various European languages. This misnomer was perpetuated in place naming; the islands of the Caribbean were named, and are still known as, the West Indies.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dodds View Post
    Come on Rip I know you know there’s some truth to it. I think it’s pretty verifiable that Ethiopians are the best long distance runners. I got curious because I am Native American, and most Native Americans are obese with thin arms and legs, don’t know many “strong” Indians.
    I guess the Indians from India who grow up in those vegetarian states are probably gonna be weaker overall, but what would happen if Mongolian invaders stole a child there and fed it milk and steak and have it squat and deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodds View Post
    Why do you think it’s wrong? I just think historically speaking, Indian is the defacto term for Native Americans in North America. In Canada we have “The Indian Act” and “Indian Status Cards”. Indian is just a more informal term to reference Native Americans. Rip would be able to tell the difference of an Indian and an East Indian by context given
    I just think it's uselessly confusing, outside of an in person context at least.
    Can't we just call "East Indians" Indians, and you guys Native Americans or Indigenous?
    As the link offered by Rip indicates, we could simply add the origin and use "indian" as a synonym for "indigenous", like for example "American Indian" or "East Indian". But it doesn't make sense to me, since "indian" means "from India" and it became a synonym for "indigenous" after Columbus' fuck up. You called yourself "Native American" and not "Indian" for this exact reason.

Anyway, I'm sure that if you do the program you will become way stronger than the average *insert prefered ethnic terminology*

I just think it's uselessly confusing, outside of an in person context at least.
    Can't we just call "East Indians" Indians, and you guys Native Americans or Indigenous?
    As the link offered by Rip indicates, we could simply add the origin and use "indian" as a synonym for "indigenous", like for example "American Indian" or "East Indian". But it doesn't make sense to me, since "indian" means "from India" and it became a synonym for "indigenous" after Columbus' fuck up. You called yourself "Native American" and not "Indian" for this exact reason.

Anyway, I'm sure that if you do the program you will become way stronger than the average *insert prefered ethnic terminology*
    I formally called myself Native American yes, and also informally referred to my people as Indian. If I was in India I would refer to East Indians as Indians. If I am on the continent of North America I will continue to refer to Native Americans as Indians, informally. Likewise, I would continue to call them East Indians. The term “Indian” has a longer history in North America in reference to Native Americans than it does East Indians.

Now that I think about it this “Indian” debate doesn’t even matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I guess the Indians from India who grow up in those vegetarian states are probably gonna be weaker overall, but what would happen if Mongolian invaders stole a child there and fed it milk and steak and have it squat and deadlift?
    "Strong" but not "very strong", apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fioravanti View Post
    Be a little more persistent and you’ll find what you’re looking for, Francesco-me boy:

“Europeans at the time of Christopher Columbus's voyage often referred to all of South and East Asia as "India" or "the Indias/Indies", sometimes dividing the area into "Greater India", "Middle India", and "Lesser India". The oldest surviving terrestrial globe, by Martin Behaim in 1492 (before Columbus' voyage), labels the entire Asian subcontinent region as "India", named ultimately after the Indus River.

Columbus carried a passport in Latin from the Spanish monarchs that dispatched him ad partes Indie ("toward the regions of India") on their behalf. When he landed in the Antilles, Columbus referred to the resident peoples he encountered there as "Indians", reflecting his purported belief that he had reached the Indian Ocean. The name was adopted by other Spanish and ultimately other Europeans; for centuries the Indigenous peoples of the Americas were collectively called "Indians" in various European languages. This misnomer was perpetuated in place naming; the islands of the Caribbean were named, and are still known as, the West Indies.”
    Thanks for finding this

Do we then call people of Switzerland indigenous if they are in Switzerland? Indigenous has a meaning as well.

starting strength coach development program
    I am a Native American and I would prefer not to be confused with the Indian Americans: Know Nothing - Wikipedia

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast