starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The new ss podcast is lame

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I think Nick Delgadillo should just do everything. He's by far the coolest.
    You mean The Genie?

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

I'd watch Nick's podcast. Unfortunately I think he would enjoy another schedule obligation about as much as "Johnsonville" and "David in Arizona" would enjoy being polite to strangers. I'll make sure to have him on as a guest as frequently as his schedule and interest-level allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    The new ss podcast hosted by ray is pretty insufferable. My reasoning is the overly douchy music and graphics for the intro, ray calling everything a really “damn” good thing, and the fact that he is not particularly knowledgeable compared to other ss coaches. The Stan efferding episode was particularly hard to listen to, as ray was talking about overeating and gaining weight as fast as possible, while Stan was saying that’s a good way to get fatty liver disease and recommends a slower approach. Either way, this seems like a drastically different culture from the original ss segments with the lifting legends, and also a far cry from the class and politeness that used to be shown from the lifters of yesteryear. This podcast comes off as white trash.

Fortunately we have some excellent alternatives. My play list includes Rip’s SS Radio, Nick Delgadillo videos, Weights and Plates, The Strength Company, Baker Barbell, Greysteel, Strength Club, and Testify Strength all from within the SS ecosystem. In addition my strength training playlist includes several podcasts from outside the SS ecosystem. Any upstart podcaster that wants to break into this lineup had better bring some serious edutainment game.

As a senior lifter fighting to stave off death, I am compelled to utilize my remaining time on earth wisely. I can’t afford to waste my time listening to crummy podcasts. They must be culled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    I'd watch Nick's podcast. Unfortunately I think he would enjoy another schedule obligation about as much as "Johnsonville" and "David in Arizona" would enjoy being polite to strangers. I'll make sure to have him on as a guest as frequently as his schedule and interest-level allow.
    I can imagine what Johnsonville might be thinking though - that SS folks can't accept criticism - but the phrasing, tone, and medium is critical to feedback. So anyone reading this thread thinking "these fucks are just up their own asses and can't take constructive criticism," if you actually want to provide constructive feedback, give it as though it were to someone you actually care about, like a spouse or parent. Not as an attack that you can get away with because it's the internet and your name isn't public. If you want to just bitch about the things you don't like, Reddit or a bar are probably the best places for that.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Mr/Ms Extremely Tiny City, Jews can be full-on globohomo financiers all the way down to Urban Amish, but they are never ever and can never ever be White Trash. Never. Single. Time.
    I spit out my drink reading this, not gonna lie lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    I started to watch it the other day and will watch more soon. My squirrel like attention span and general pea brain necessitates breaking things up into bite size pieces so podcasts are tough for me. I did enjoy what i saw and will definitely watch it all given time.

Quote Originally Posted by David in Arizona View Post
    I can’t afford to waste my time listening to crummy podcasts. They must be culled.
    Please yourself - I sure do, and that means not listening to podcasts or watching videos - but the numbers say* that the SS Gyms podcasts are popular and appealing to a wide audience. The more that that audience does not overlap the others, the better.

*"Hundreds of fans" - that's a joke, son.

Please yourself - I sure do, and that means not listening to podcasts or watching videos - but the numbers say* that the SS Gyms podcasts are popular and appealing to a wide audience. The more that that audience does not overlap the others, the better.

I heard you in the Weights and Plates podcast. Nice interview.

Regardless, significantly exceeding expectations. I thought Ray’s audience had grown to about 5 or 6 listeners.

starting strength coach development program
    The more that that audience does not overlap the others, the better.
    Why do you say that, Stef?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast