starting strength gym
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The new ss podcast is lame

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Shit, I work a security job. Y'know, the non-important, just there to check a box for liability purposes kind. The more content, the merrier. I've already read damn near every article in the Starting Strength archives when I was working guarding a gated community.

The constructive feedback version of the recent comments in this thread: The podcast space is saturated; consider reformatting.
    Everyone has a podcast; people don't even listen to all of the podcasts they are extremely interested in.
    Ray's podcast serves a good purpose and has a target audience, however the traditional long-format podcast may not be the most effective or engaging form.

It can be difficult to know when a situation requires more perseverance or creative adjustments; you'll figure it out.

I would also like to add that despite the fact that many of the criticisms have been worded in an unconstructive and ambiguously hostile manner, I do not believe the words are coming from trolls, rather they are from SS fans.
    I don't necessarily agree with their opinions, but it is better they are willing to give honest feedback than let you walk around with egg on your face.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I can imagine what Johnsonville might be thinking though - that SS folks can't accept criticism - but the phrasing, tone, and medium is critical to feedback. So anyone reading this thread thinking "these fucks are just up their own asses and can't take constructive criticism," if you actually want to provide constructive feedback, give it as though it were to someone you actually care about, like a spouse or parent. Not as an attack that you can get away with because it's the internet and your name isn't public. If you want to just bitch about the things you don't like, Reddit or a bar are probably the best places for that.
    Andrew I agree. My criticism of Rays podcast should have been handled more diplomatically.
    I doubt that he will consider any further criticism from me as constructive so I suggest that a trusted member of the SS team intervene with the following advice.

New aspiring podcasters should get professional coaching. It’s just as important as coaching for BJJ or lifting.

Rogan totally ignores comments and criticism of his podcast. Rip masterfully turns the arrow and uses criticism in his Comments from the Haters as a feature. I would recommend either of these approaches. I like Rip’s best.

You don’t have to beat up the competition to make SS look good. The SS program’s strengths should be the focus of brand building efforts, not belittling the competition.

Responding to and attacking critics only makes the podcaster look small and weak regardless of his deadlift or squat PRs.

And this from Lex Friedman,
    “I try to assume the best intention in the actions of others. The internet too often seems to want to do the opposite. I think the former is way better than the latter if your goal is to be productive, gain understanding, solve problems, and find happiness.”

I am a big SS and Rip fan. I have received tremendous benefit from the program. I am grateful for all the free content Rip has provided to all of us. In turn I try to support the Aasgaard Co whenever possible.

David

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Why do you say that, Stef?
    If I had to guess, Starting Strength is trying to grow: more cities, more gyms, more clientele. From a business perspective, less overlap means new listeners and new potential clientele. If Ray's podcast only reached the exact same, preexisting audience, it wouldn't be reaching new listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    (1) The podcast space is saturated; consider reformatting.
    (2) Everyone has a podcast; people don't even listen to all of the podcasts they are extremely interested in.
    (3) Ray's podcast serves a good purpose and has a target audience, however the traditional long-format podcast may not be the most effective or engaging form.
    If these are the criticisms, I think they are weak. Saturation is only a problem for podcast startups with zero audience. Starting Strength has an audience, a growing one if I had to guess, so the podcast is serving its purpose. I don't see any evidence that the "traditional, long-form podcast" is a lackluster, or out-of-style format. What else would Ray do? Start a blog? An email newsletter? How else should he interview these people? Not "long-form," so rapid, super, level-seven lightning round? Maybe Ray should start a late night television program with a live studio audience and band. . .

Formats serve varying purposes and people vary in their appetites. The golden age of podcasting is happening right now. I think you could make a good argument that podcasting is, in fact, the most effective and engaging format that currently exists.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fioravanti View Post
    If I had to guess, Starting Strength is trying to grow: more cities, more gyms, more clientele. From a business perspective, less overlap means new listeners and new potential clientele. If Ray's podcast only reached the exact same, preexisting audience, it wouldn't be reaching new listeners.

If these are the criticisms, I think they are weak. Saturation is only a problem for podcast startups with zero audience. Starting Strength has an audience, a growing one if I had to guess, so the podcast is serving its purpose. I don't see any evidence that the "traditional, long-form podcast" is a lackluster, or out-of-style format. What else would Ray do? Start a blog? An email newsletter? How else should he interview these people? Not "long-form," so rapid, super, level-seven lightning round? Maybe Ray should start a late night television program with a live studio audience and band. . .

Formats serve varying purposes and people vary in their appetites. The golden age of podcasting is happening right now. I think you could make a good argument that podcasting is, in fact, the most effective and engaging format that currently exists.
    Ray just steered the franchise business through two years of covid bullshit as a start up.

Just look at some of the other franchises like F45 that prioritised financial engineering fuelled growth who have screwed their franchisees.

I think Ray will be just fine trusting his instincts and he doesn’t need to please everybody to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by David in Arizona View Post
    You don’t have to beat up the competition to make SS look good. The SS program’s strengths should be the focus of brand building efforts, not belittling the competition.
    When did that happen? LA Fitness is not a competing business. Not at all. You can DO Starting Strength at a properly equipped LA Fitness (I do, or did, anyway), but LA Fitness gyms absolutely do not set out to do the same thing Starting Strength Gyms do.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    When did that happen? LA Fitness is not a competing business. Not at all. You can DO Starting Strength at a properly equipped LA Fitness (I do, or did, anyway), but LA Fitness gyms absolutely do not set out to do the same thing Starting Strength Gyms do.
    The main difference being that the SS franchise offers education, both to the coaches and to their clients, because it is necessary, even at a minimum level, to get through the program and understand it. I think it's just two completely different types or businesses. One is sales and marketing, the other is education and health.
    The reason why the comparison is always there is because most people transition from one to the other, just like Ray was explaining based on his personal experience. He's not shitting on these fitness centers, he's pointing out to their clients (99% of which are novices) why it's not a place intended for them to get results.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Why do you say that, Stef?
    Different people respond to different styles, different explanations, different voices. Different people engage with different topics and different guests as they relate their different experiences and different perspectives. It is not possible to please everyone and only people selling out try.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Delgadillo does have the best mustache.
    The best shirts too. The thing that sets Ray apart from many, many other podcasters is that he actually believes what he is talking about. I find it refreshing, all of this criticism is entitled drivel mostly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    The main difference being that the SS franchise offers education, both to the coaches and to their clients, because it is necessary, even at a minimum level, to get through the program and understand it. I think it's just two completely different types or businesses. One is sales and marketing, the other is education and health.
    The reason why the comparison is always there is because most people transition from one to the other, just like Ray was explaining based on his personal experience. He's not shitting on these fitness centers, he's pointing out to their clients (99% of which are novices) why it's not a place intended for them to get results.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    You are both right given a narrow definition of a competitor. I would use a more broad definition like- anyone that offers similar or substitutable products or services in the geographic market- which would include all providers of fitness/lifestyle improvement products or services. Therefore all gyms and at home fitness products and services would be SS gym competitors. SS gyms need to get a share of that market. The real competition is for a finite amount of consumer discretionary dollars. In this case the portion of consumer discretionary dollars available for fitness equipment or services. SS gyms challenge is to redirect that spending. My contention is a positive message is more effective at achieving that goal vs belittling the competition. Should I work out at a SS gym because I can get strong or because the gym down the street has a stinky bathroom?

I am certain that the SS gym team is well aware that the current inflationary and recessionary environment has and will continue to shrink consumer discretionary dollars. That will place additional pressure on the current gyms and possibly threaten further expansion plans. All efforts to promote the brand will need to be as effective as possible.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast