Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The new ss podcast is lame

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasAstro View Post
    I noticed in my system (especially among the medics and EMT’s not associated with our fire department) was our providers were significantly lacking in physical strength.... I had some coworkers that couldn’t even carry the gear bags up stairs to an incident location; god forbid they drop a gurney.
    I've noticed the same. A few weeks back I had to pick a ~300lb fella up off of the toilet and if I wasn't there, they would've likely had to call the fire department for assistance. My paramedic colleague that day was a small woman with back issues that doesn't train or exercise. Astonishingly, it doesn't seem like my coworkers are making the connection between their lifestyles (smoking, pizza as the preferred meal, sedentary) and the condition that our patients are in.

One of the primary objections our hiring manager gets from EMT prospects is, "I can make more than this working at Arby's." This is not a good sign for the health of the overall system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    I've noticed the same. A few weeks back I had to pick a ~300lb fella up off of the toilet and if I wasn't there, they would've likely had to call the fire department for assistance. My paramedic colleague that day was a small woman with back issues that doesn't train or exercise. Astonishingly, it doesn't seem like my coworkers are making the connection between their lifestyles (smoking, pizza as the preferred meal, sedentary) and the condition that our patients are in.

One of the primary objections our hiring manager gets from EMT prospects is, "I can make more than this working at Arby's." This is not a good sign for the health of the overall system.
    This is what happens if people are not given responsibility for their jobs, as is the norm with government related employment or bureocracy.
    Funny thing is they have liability, whether they think they do or not.

I agree that a podcast or article should happen in the future.
    In the meantime, it is an interesting topic to hear stories from, in bits and pieces, on the podcast.
    The experience also appears to benefit your podcasting skills by gibing you a broader knowledge to draw upon in those conversations.

Astonishingly, it doesn't seem like my coworkers are making the connection between their lifestyles (smoking, pizza as the preferred meal, sedentary) and the condition that our patients are in.

I’ve had this discussion A LOT and what I’ve boiled it down to is that everyone in EMS wants to be a firefighter and no one realizes how much nepotism goes into hiring. Fact is, being an EMT looks baddass (and to an extent is). All these young guys think they’ll be Ricky Rescue on the pump in two years, only to get stuck on the box.

I’m a little salty because I was this guy, but I would never trade the field experience I got from the job. Ever since I got out, every job I’ve taken that’s 8 hours or during the day has been a cake walk by comparison. You learn how to function in stressful situations, mitigate and attend medical emergencies and deal with every sort of person imaginable.

It’s such a valuable skill set- it’s just so unfortunate it’s not a lucrative career in any regard.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I agree that a podcast or article should happen in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    A podcast or an article about this would be really interesting.
    Are either of you (or both of you) interested in coming on the show? I don't have a vision for an episode about this stuff, so you can help facilitate a discussion if that sounds interesting to you. If it comes out well, we'll air it. If not, it'll be good to talk to you guys anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    Are either of you (or both of you) interested in coming on the show? I don't have a vision for an episode about this stuff, so you can help facilitate a discussion if that sounds interesting to you. If it comes out well, we'll air it. If not, it'll be good to talk to you guys anyways.
    I'm really flattered, although I don't think at the moment I could provide an interesting discussion, being a young unexperienced kid and all.

But I'll follow this up privately, what is your email (I swear it used to be at the bottom of your messages before)?

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    what is your email ?
    My first name @ ssgyms.com

Show ideas and constructive feedback are welcomed from anyone.
    Last edited by Ray Gillenwater; 03-18-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789