starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Argument for Arch Support | Tyler Perkins

Default An Argument for Arch Support | Tyler Perkins

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Articles have already been written and videos​have been made discussing the benefits, and the need, for lifting shoes and why you should already have a pair. But for those of us stupid enough to venture into the comments sections, you will have noticed that there still seems to be some lingering confusion and mystery surrounding the human arch, arch support, orthotics, “supportive” shoes, and whether any of this is relevant or necessary to the strength trainee.

Read article

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Articles have already been written and videos​have been made discussing the benefits, and the need, for lifting shoes and why you should already have a pair. But for those of us stupid enough to venture into the comments sections, you will have noticed that there still seems to be some lingering confusion and mystery surrounding the human arch, arch support, orthotics, “supportive” shoes, and whether any of this is relevant or necessary to the strength trainee.

Read article
    I can't believe we are still talking about this. There was a thread years ago where Rip recommended the arch supports. I went out and purchased them and it was one of the best things physiologically I could have done. Got rid of both some Achilles tendonitis and IT band pain.

Of course I wish I had this article at time because I got them from the podiatrist supposedly covered by insurance and then got a bill for hundreds of dollars. There are now places that make custom arch supports for reasonable prices. Even though I have health insurance I would definitely use one of those places if I ever need a new pair. I wish we had a list of recommended stores because it's very easy to get ripped off if you've never purchased them before (as my experience clearly demonstrate)

I'll admit this is something I've overlooked purely because I've always felt "good" once I got my lifting shoes. Never bothered to make the connection between the orthotics in my sport shoes and my lifting shoes. I'll try some inserts.

I think this will be a very helpful article for many people.

Is the advice in this article targeted to everybody or just folks that have some kind of issue with their arches?

Thanks for this article, very informative. Found out that I had collapsed arches when I was around 12 and it was too late for corrective measures.

I've got some custom made arch supports made of hard plastic and some softer ones made in a heat mold. I've always worn the softer ones for lifting but am I correct in assuming from this article that I should be using the harder ones while training?

Out of curiosity, have you ever made an association between fallen arches and low back pain?

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Is the advice in this article targeted to everybody or just folks that have some kind of issue with their arches?

Needed by some, beneficial for everybody.

Keeping the goal of building and maintaining your arch shape under a heavy load in mind, I would go for the harder set.

I have made plenty of anecdotal associations between jacked up arches and back pain for sure. There are quite a few studies that you can search that seem to show this as well. If you just look at the mechanical affect this has on the body, it's pretty easy to see how that could be the case.

"To be clear, I am not advising $800 custom orthotics from the podiatrist that your insurance doesn't cover, just to lift in. In fact, there are many great over-the-counter options for firm, truly supportive arch inserts that cost roughly $60 and are available in various arch profiles that allow you to tailor it to your foot. To be very clear, I am also NOT recommending or suggesting soft, squishy, gel-filled, pillow topped, or anything sold by Dr. Scholls."

So, what is the recommendation here? I have had planters fasciitis off and on and would like a good insert for that. I bought the Dr. Scholls for my tennis shoes, but have done nothing with my lifting shoes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by newmantjn View Post
    "…
    So, what is the recommendation here? I have had planters fasciitis off and on and would like a good insert for that. I bought the Dr. Scholls for my tennis shoes, but have done nothing with my lifting shoes.
    I’ve used Superfeet for PF, some time ago, with decent results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast