starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single arm DB Rows

Default Single arm DB Rows

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started doing dumbbell rows recently, because I want some more upper back work and this sort of accessory exercise is appropriate for my level of training advancement. Due to some scheduling limitations, one of my weekly workouts will be a quick one in my apartment for the time being. DB rows can be done quietly and won’t bother neighbors.

What are some technique considerations for performing these?

Thank you,

What are you deadlifting, and how heavy are your dumbbells?

My last deadlift workout was a moderately tough triple at 395 (not a 3RM). Squats are at tail end of LP, returning from a reset.

The DBs are the adjustable Olympic sleeve style. I did an easy 55lbs for 8-10 reps my first workout this week. Just trying to get some extra work in during non-ideal scheduling.

I’m not a big guy - about 5’8” 190 lbs and aiming to be ~220 lbs, rank intermediate.

Why do you think a 55-pound DB row will help a 400-pound deadlift?

Rip, point taken. Right now they’re likely too light to have carryover to the deadlift. 55 was just the first workout to start learning how to do these properly. I’m aiming to perform these with incrementally higher loads, although not heavy enough to interfere with my heavy day which comes two days after light day.

You didn't answer my question. If yes, how?

The lats work isometrically in the deadlift to help keep the bar close (over the middle of the foot) for an efficient pull. Rows could strengthen the lats, making it easier to maintain this position. I view chins similarly. There isn’t any elbow flexion in a deadlift, but chin ups still train some of the same musculature and are overall a good, albeit less stressful, upper body exercise.

How does a 55-pound dumbbell row strengthen the lats beyond what a 400 deadlift is already doing?

Please, everyone who is obsessed with the lats in the deadlift, go re-read the deadlift chapter in SSBBT3. If you still think that your deadlift is limited or really affected by lat strength, then go right ahead with your rows.

starting strength coach development program
    Let me play devil's advocate: Maybe despite being a lighter weight, the horizontal pulling action of the db row better activates certain muscle fibers of the lats than later will do better its pulling action during de deadlift?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast