starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single arm DB Rows

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    55 is too light. I doubt there’s anything it can do to contribute to a stronger pull. The number of reps required to make in challenging would force me into endurance territory, not strength.

However, there may be a load that is sufficient to make the lats stronger but not stressful enough to interfere with the deadlift two days later. Assistance exercises by nature are lighter than the parent exercise (except, say, partial range of motion variants.)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate: Maybe despite being a lighter weight, the horizontal pulling action of the db row better activates certain muscle fibers of the lats than later will do better its pulling action during de deadlift?
    Then why would those muscle fibers strengthened by the DB rows have a positive effect on the deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    However, there may be a load that is sufficient to make the lats stronger but not stressful enough to interfere with the deadlift two days later. Assistance exercises by nature are lighter than the parent exercise (except, say, partial range of motion variants.)
    If it's not stressful enough to interfere with the deadlift, how does it improve the deadlift? For the third time.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate: Maybe despite being a lighter weight, the horizontal pulling action of the db row better activates certain muscle fibers of the lats than later will do better its pulling action during de deadlift?
    In other words, by isolating very specific microfibers? As my Uncle Joe would say “C’MON, MAN!”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If it's not stressful enough to interfere with the deadlift, how does it improve the deadlift? For the third time.
    Where's the gif of the Little Leaguer taking a dozen ground balls before he finally fields one correctly?

I guess dumbbell rows are a poor choice for light day pulling and won't assist the deadlift.

I'm just trying to finagle something that will fit for light day pulling and can be performed in an apartment that's not outfitted for barbell training. The snatch, power clean and barbell rows won't fit (noise constraints). That's my line of thinking - not that DB rows are an underrated deadlift assistance exercise - just that they fit the logistical constraints of my current schedule and can be progressively loaded just like a barbell row.

If you like doing them, go ahead. But let's not attribute to them benefits they do not produce.

Rip’s last post wraps this up, I’d say. For what it’s worth, I thought the original post was just the OP trolling Rip. Nope, as it turns out. Would have been a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Rip’s last post wraps this up, I’d say. For what it’s worth, I thought the original post was just the OP trolling Rip. Nope, as it turns out. Would have been a good one.
    Can't you get pullup bars that fit over a door for like $20. Why can't the OP do chins?

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    For what it’s worth, I thought the original post was just the OP trolling Rip. Nope, as it turns out. Would have been a good one.
    Smyth, I must have over 1k posts here, many of which are technique help I gave in 2015 when I was working as a personal trainer (non SSC) - no trolling here.

Looking back at that first post, I was really aiming to talk about technique considerations for this exercise. I acknowledged that the non-ideal exercise selection was due to scheduling constraints.

Ed, thanks for the tip. The landlord forbids these - fear of doorframe damage. I get my chins in when I’m at the real gym, however.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    Can't you get pullup bars that fit over a door for like $20. Why can't the OP do chins?
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...il+compilation

starting strength coach development program
    Okay these are pretty funny but I didn't find any of them where people were using the pullup bars to actually do pullups! I don't have such apparatus so maybe I'm just naive. But when I do pullups, I grab the bar with both hands (Even if you are 5ft even, I think you can reach the top of a door frame) and then lower myself until I'm in a dead hang. Bend my knees the rest of the way, do the set, and put my feet down. If the bar fell, I would be able to land on my feet although it would then hit me in the head.

However, if you aren't able to follow the installation instructions (or the landlord prohibits it), you can get a pullup bar / dip station for $100 new. $50 used. Less if you are good at negotiating.

Even if DB rows were a great exercise, they suck to do with loadable dumbbells because the diameter of the plates is too large. And real dumbbells cost a fortune. Plus your landlord will be pissed if you drop them by accident.

I used to work with recreational rock climbers. They didn't need pullup bars. They could actually do pullups with their fingertips on the door trim. I never did master that skill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast