starting strength gym

Thread: PPST3 when to use the “back off method”

Default PPST3 when to use the “back off method”

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I already bought the PPST3 blows up my mind a lot of good programs and choices (specially at intermediate phase) how to set up your program , variations etc etc

My question is WHEN to use the “back off method” stated at the “ ADVANCE NOVICE”

A.Should i wait until i can’t get all 3 sets of 5?
    B. Do reset first then apply?
    C. reset work way up again to break new PR for 3 sets of 5

What does it say in the book?

First stall, Reset 10% to and run the 3 sets of 5 to restore linear progression

Stalled again? go to “advance novice”
    Apply the new given strategy ,

Is it better to switch EARLY? Reason I want to maximize my “3 sets of 5” before a change, Because once i fail a set or a rep it’s hard to deal it mentally,

Quote Originally Posted by newtoss2022 View Post
    Because once i fail a set or a rep it’s hard to deal it mentally,
    This is how you strengthen mentally.

Let me put it another way for you.

There is only one way to "fail" a rep or set. That is not by not doing it. If you're not sure if you can complete a rep, you have to find out. And there's only 2 outcomes, you'll get it and realise that what you thought was possible was inaccurate, and you've pushed the boundaries of what you thought was possible. The other outcome is that you miss the rep and gain information. The first time you miss a rep and have to put it down on the safeties or the floor you realise that wasn't so bad. Then you can look at why you missed the rep. More then likely it was a form error, which you can then watch back on the tape, or just because you didn't eat or sleep enough between sessions.
    Neither of these are failures.

If you don't think you can do a rep, and you put it back in the rack, that's a fail of a rep.