starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear Rip, could you write a book about strength as a cure?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What you have here, Pierre, is a situation, not a problem. Problems have solutions, and situations do not.

If you talk to your aunt the way you write forum posts, I can understand why she doesn't pay any attention to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What you have here, Pierre, is a situation, not a problem. Problems have solutions, and situations do not.
    Ok Rip, understood. Thank you for your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    If you talk to your aunt the way you write forum posts, I can understand why she doesn't pay any attention to you.
    English is not my native language, but please tell me what's wrong with the way I right.

Bonjour mon ami,

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre-Henry F. View Post
    But there is no SS gyms in France, and I doubt the SSC Online would be of any good with her.

If she can be convinced that SS can provide that, she's in
    Disregarding for a second the excellent advice you have been given, namely that you can't convince anyone in general, and your Auntie in particular, I think that you are missing the forest for the tree.

First of all, your Auntie needs convincing that she needs to lift weights; which program or which coach to lift weights with is completely immaterial if this necessary pre-condition is unfulfilled. Assuming you like to waste your time, you need to focus your efforts on getting her under a bar first.

Imho, the best option to do so would be to make an alliance with one of her 'copines' first, and let them do the convincing. Old people, like young kids, listen more easily to strangers and friends than to relatives (likewise, you are more likely to admit changing a well-rooted idea of yours in a forum of people you never met, than in a dinner conversation with close friends).
    So, talk with a suitable best friend of her (call her Odette), explain that you are worried about seeing your Auntie in pain, and that you need help to convince her to take care of herself. Of course, you need to choose someone who might be at least partially receptive to your ideas; and coat the whole operation as a sort of secret between you and Odette, because being part of a secret always has a certain appeal.

Also, convincing Odette will be easier than convincing Auntie Jane, because you two are strangers (see above). And for you Auntie, going to a gym with Odette will be far easier than going with anyone else, yourself included.

Bottom line: if, and it's a big if, you can win Odette over, you might get a result.

Bonne chance,

IPB

Salut IPB !

Merci encore pour tes conseils concernant les squats.
    Le changement a été radical et pour le meilleur !

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    First of all, your Auntie needs convincing that she needs to lift weights.
    Done: her PT said she should gain muscle mass and I've gained so much muscle mass thanks to SS that she is O.K. to try.
    See my previous comment.

Imho, the best option to do so would be to make an alliance with one of her 'copines' first.
    Believe it or not, I've actually tried that.
    It was an hilarious failure.
    The only thing I've got out of it is from Odette is: « if I lift like you I will be bulkier which I don't want and your auntie neither ».
    I've shut up about SS for a year until there was an opening to bring the subject again.
    I must have terrible salesman skills.

(likewise, you are more likely to admit changing a well-rooted idea of yours in a forum of people you never met, than in a dinner conversation with close friends).
    I only you could be wrong ...

Assuming you like to waste your time,
    Sometimes, it's the right thing to do.

To sum it up and as Rip said in a previous problem: it's a situation.
    There is no SS Gym available and no SSC coach for her.
    The only thing I'm willing to try with her is the deadlift and with great caution.

Merci !

PHF

------------------

Translation of the few french sentences:

Hi IPB!
    Thank you again for your advice regarding squats.
    The change has been radical and for the better!
    Thank you!

Believe it or not, I've actually tried that.
    It was an hilarious failure.
    I would call it a useful learning experience.

Sometimes, it's the right thing to do.
    Notwithstanding that my statement about wasting time was delivered with tongue firmly in cheek, I agree with what you wrote.
    Don't desist, you might get there in the end.

And I think your Auntie is lucky to have someone like you who worries and cares about her.

IPB

Auntie will never realize this.

starting strength coach development program
    How old is "Auntie"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12