starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Plantar Fasciitis condition a concern when doing squats and deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I’m still think it’s cute that doctor thinks jalapeños are “hot” peppers.

I’m a desk jockey, no ladder work etc. My PF came and went while I was lifting heavy DL and Squats. Seems to me bad form, then corrected form might explain that. Being “on my toes” could’ve triggered PF, no?

And how is box wine different from cheap table wine that serves just fine as water - Chianti in a basket? Snobs. Love them both.

Did you know that Chianti in a basket is called a “fiasco?”

It’s more the aesthetic of the customer base than a denunciation of any particular vintage. I once thought I’d make my fortune packaging cheap wine in Capri-Sun style foil packages for single-serving use with straw. Alas, I realized when I saw them in the shelves, as with my grandfather who “invented” intermittent windshield wipers, my laziness got the better of me.

I had bad plantar fasciitis 2 months ago. I could barely walk. I continued training through the pain and limited time on my feet the rest of the day and it resolved in 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I've had horrible plantar fasciitis in both feet at different times. I've tried different shoes, insoles, rolling the spiky dumbbell thing under my arches, you name it. None really made a difference.
    What worked for me was doing standing calf raises. I haven't had a recurrence since doing these. After squats, leave a 45 on each side, and do 10-15 calf raises. Hardly takes a minute. I now use a 3 inch block of wood to make it harder, but do it every squat day after squats.
    Hope this helps.
    I would argue that it’s not so much the calf raises that are helping you as the standing on the 3” block with 135 lbs on your back. I’m assuming that you have your toes on the block and your heel down. I was told of a mechanism for the pain of plantar fasciitis in medical school. The thought was that traction of the gastrocnemius on the achilles tendon which is attached in part to the plantar fascia (the tough band of tissue on the sole of the foot) can cause inflammation.

I have no idea if this is true or it’s folklore. Either way, this theory has led to the therapeutic intervention of “stretching out the plantar fascia” by hyperflexing the ankle joint. By doing so, you’re taking traction off the fascia and causing less inflammation which the calcaneous (heel bone) would otherwise be exacerbating. Again, no idea whether the pathophysiology is correct. But what I do know is that this approach has worked remarkably well in many patients with whom I’ve tried this.

I had a young woman, an aerobics instructor, come to see me in my office for PF. She was literally crying because steroid injections and heel cups didn’t help at all. Her orthopod said she’d just have to live with the pain. She was worried that she’d lose her career.

Her exam (severe point tenderness over her heel) suggested that she’d been diagnosed correctly in the past. I had her do some ankle stretches in the office by simply having her stand facing the wall, supporting herself with her hands. I then had her walk back six inches at a time keeping her knees straight. This is the same stretch you see runners doing all the time. Sometimes they have to walk their hands down the wall at times, to keep from falling on their face.

HER PAIN WAS ALMOST GONE IN THE OFFICE. She wanted to marry me by the end of the visit. I’ve used this stretch on patients many times with good results. One time I had a podiatrist make a splint for a patient that he could keep on at when he was sleeping. That seemed to work when the stretches didn’t.

As an aside, I’m kind of surprised that Mark doesn’t think squats HELP with this condition. I’d have thought that the ankle hyperflexion that occurs at the bottom of a legit squat would be beneficial. Maybe the position just isn’t held long enough to help with this problem.

Sorry for the long-windedness of my reply. I just wanted to support my approach with theory and anecdotes.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    As an aside, I’m kind of surprised that Mark doesn’t think squats HELP with this condition. I’d have thought that the ankle hyperflexion that occurs at the bottom of a legit squat would be beneficial. Maybe the position just isn’t held long enough to help with this problem.
    There is no real dorsiflexion beyond maybe 15-20 degrees at the bottom of a squat the way we teach it. Front squat, sure. Maybe even a high-bar, but the knees just don't move that far forward in a low-bar squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is no real dorsiflexion beyond maybe 15-20 degrees at the bottom of a squat the way we teach it. Front squat, sure. Maybe even a high-bar, but the knees just don't move that far forward in a low-bar squat.
    Got it. At least there’s no reason to assume that squatting either causes PF nor makes it worse. There doesn’t seem to be a justification to stop squatting unless the pain is so great as to make the lifter unstable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12