starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Testosterone and Depression with Trevor Rachko | Starting Strength Radio #178

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Keith Nichols MD View Post

So what does the modern data show us?
    1. In hypogonadal men testosterone therapy does not increase the risk of developing prostate cancer even in high-risk individuals. It may in fact have a protective role against high-grade cancer and Studies have shown that higher levels of testosterone can suppress prostate cancer growth. There is an inverted U with regard to prostate cancer cell proliferation and testosterone levels. At low Testosterone levels there is suppression of prostate cancer cell proliferation, between castrate levels and the saturation level (hypogonadal) there is growth, and with high levels of testosterone there is once again suppression of prostate cancer cell proliferation. The unfortunate reality is that about 1 in 6 men have prostate cancer and if you are in a clinic and you're seeing at least 60 patients then you are most likely treating at least 10 men with active prostate cancer. So all of these clinics are in effect treating men on active surveillance with prostate cancer without any detrimental effects.
    2. Testosterone therapy does not increase the risk of progression in men on active surveillance
    3. Testosterone therapy does not increase the risk of biochemical recurrence after treatment of prostate cancer by radiation therapy or radical prostatectomy. Some studies have shown decreased recurrence rates in men on testosterone therapy.
    Multiple studies have revealed that low testosterone is associated with
    1. Higher grades of cancer
    2. A more advanced stage of cancer at surgery
    3. A increased rate of recurrence after surgery
    4. Decreased survival
    It is not high testosterone levels that are associated with poor prognostic factors but it appears to be low testosterone levels.

Thank you for providing a transcript of that conversation. It will come in handy when conferring with my PCP and the folks at Roswell Park Cancer Center.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Call Dr. Nichols.
    Thank you, Ripp, I just sent a message to his office thru their website, and I finally was able to get the most recent test results, 538 and 1.36 respectively. Given that the Endocrinologist I saw is also my wife's, I'm starting to think now that he is not spotting/recognizing her perimenopausal symptoms and not offering her treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Keith Nichols MD View Post
    Even though your total appears adequate it's your free that matters and your free testosterone is not very good at all. The level doesn't matter anyway because everyone has a different androgen receptor sensitivity and the fact that you're having symptoms should dictate care not a level. Unfortunately your doctors are not educated on the real risk and benefits of testosterone therapy. This is exactly why mark and I did the last video. It was to help dispel some of these myths and tell you where they originated from and why they are incorrect. It sounds like the first person you need to convince of the seriousness of how you feel is your wife. Maybe take her out to a nice dinner and while there try to have a very open and honest discussion and let her know just how bad you feel and that you would be a much better husband and father if you could receive treatment. Let her know that if she was on the other foot you would do everything on demand to assist her with improving her health and feeling better. Maybe you can convince her to just sit down and listen to Mark's videos on the subject of testosterone therapy. I have already posted the initial rough draft of the myth concerning testosterone therapy and it causing heart attacks, strokes, or blood clots. I will now provide with you what Mark and I talked about regarding the issues surrounding prostate cancer. Maybe you can get your wife to read both of the forum topics

Thank you, Sir; I will take your advice and try to get her to read or watch/listen to your work, she is very overwhelmed with her work, teaching high school and a doctoral-level course so it may take some time, but I will send her what you wrote and hope for the best. I sent a message on your practice's website, including all my numbers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123