starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going To College – Or Not | Mark Rippetoe and Nicholas Racculia

Default Going To College – Or Not | Mark Rippetoe and Nicholas Racculia

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back in the 70s, going to college was what people who wanted to be successful did, because a high school education had eroded in rigor and value since the days of our parents' education. The erosion has continued, engulfing “higher education” as well. At this point, the majority of 4-year degrees are meaningless...

Read article

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Back in the 70s, going to college was what people who wanted to be successful did, because a high school education had eroded in rigor and value since the days of our parents' education. The erosion has continued, engulfing “higher education” as well. At this point, the majority of 4-year degrees are meaningless...

Read article
    I just passed this article along to my two kids who are high school seniors. Fortunately they are looking at nursing schools so thanks for the reference to nursing. I let them know that “Dad ain’t paying’ for some BS major.”

One very important and probably under appreciated line was the understanding of long time scales, and how that should help one to put the so called climate change into its proper perspective. That really needs to be stressed.

Couldn't agree more. I took all the basic courses you suggested EXCEPT geology, which I greatly regret missing out on.

I would go a step further: majoring in "a science" without a clear plan as to what work you plan to is a bad idea. I did just that and chose a biology major. My BS in biology did not qualify me to do anything substantial in the workforce. I would've been screwed if I didn't get into med school.

If I did it all over I would get an engineering degree; even if you don't work in the engineering field this is useful education for your life generally.

This was a great article. I loved the recommendation to stay away from any major that didn’t have a calculus requirement (and for the reason given).

I went to a very close friend’s daughter’s wedding. I met the groom and he seemed very intimidated by me because his soon to be wife’s family had told him I was very educated and a physician and he had never gone to college. I asked him what he did and he was working at a Cadillac dealership as a mechanic. The kid learned about cars from his dad and since signing on at the dealership, they were sending him all over the country to take company courses on every system in the car on their dime. He was rapidly being promoted up the ladder assuming more and more leadership responsibilities.

Of course he was obviously going places and of course I told him that he was CRUSHING his career. His college-bound buddies were soon going to be VERY jealous.

No debt, a high demand job, and one that will never be outsourced to China? What’s not to love?

I'm 30 and have an agriculture econ degree from a big state school. The best thing I got from my college education was the professional network. Most of my professional success has had to do with where I went to school and the people I met. It was an expensive way to get that network, but it has paid dividends. I showed up and did an average job and am now lucky to have an engaging career that I give a shit about.

I currently am a commodity trader and manage a grain elevator. I also am a partner in my family's corn and soybean farm. Parents paid for me to go to college and the system worked out for me. But in spite of my success I know that the current college system does not work for many people. And I'm lucky as hell that my parent's gave me that assistance. I owe them everything.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBen View Post
    I'm 30 and have an agriculture econ degree from a big state school. The best thing I got from my college education was the professional network. Most of my professional success has had to do with where I went to school and the people I met. It was an expensive way to get that network, but it has paid dividends. I showed up and did an average job and am now lucky to have an engaging career that I give a shit about.

I currently am a commodity trader and manage a grain elevator. I also am a partner in my family's corn and soybean farm. Parents paid for me to go to college and the system worked out for me. But in spite of my success I know that the current college system does not work for many people. And I'm lucky as hell that my parent's gave me that assistance. I owe them everything.
    Yeah, networking seems to be the main benefit a lot of people get from college. Wish I could be one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBen View Post

You simply cannot go wrong with an agricultural degree.

Agriculture Communications is a real major and is total bullshit. Exception that proves the rule.

I advised both sons to not go into debt unless they knew what they wanted to do and that it also made financial sense, and to not rule out the trades. I knew at the time advice like that could be a risk to the relationship if things didn't work out and/or other life circumstances (like on the job injury) got in the way of a decent career, but still feel that was reasonably sound advice or at least seems to be so far. They are both doing reasonably well in the trades (one obtained ~3/4 of the on the job hours needed for his tradesman's license in the military, so that detour worked out as well).

The reason for that advice is that I personally took out a loan to finish a college (technical) degree, but the irony is I learned more during my 3 month internship requirement than all the rest combined, and also made a career out of things learned during the internship that didn't really match the degree. Also, if it wouldn't have been for the millstone around my neck (loan) when I started out adult life, I'm sure I would be in a better spot for retirement and/or passing wealth along than I am now.

That loan turned out to limit things like the house I could afford, etc. and of course since that can count as an investment, that can snowball later in life.

With the exception of our pampered and over-funded "educator class", I think almost all of society would be better served if things like apprenticeships and the like would make a strong come-back.

starting strength coach development program
    Fantastic column. I remember reading it when it first came out and enjoyed it as much this time. Spoke with my wife about it as regards our daughter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast