starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee Intermittently Locking

Default Knee Intermittently Locking

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My left knee has been locking up on me intermittently for the last 9 months. It only occurs when training Jiu jitsu, and generally only in certain positions. It feels like a mechanical lock, but I’m not certain that it actually is, because it unlocks almost immediately. It has never remained locked longer than a second or two. It never swells much, or presents pain other than when the even initially occurs. No noticeable instability or strength loss in the knee. I had an MRI done on the knee which showed no meniscus damage (which I thought it might be initially), and a generally healthy knee.
    I suppose the obvious response would be “stop doing Jiu jitsu” or “avoid certain positions that aggravate it”; but I am interested in the possible root causes of it.
    Any thoughts? Thank you!

It's usually a fractured meniscus, rarely a torn articular cartilage. A mechanical lock should not be difficult to diagnose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's usually a fractured meniscus, rarely a torn articular cartilage. A mechanical lock should not be difficult to diagnose.
    Thank you for the response.
    My orthopedic surgeon indicated that my MRI showed no damage to the meniscus, but did not mention articulate cartilage. He indicated that sometimes a tight IT band may create a snapping sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrfinder View Post
    He indicated that sometimes a tight IT band may create a snapping sensation.
    True.

Thank you again. I talked to the ortho again today, and he suggested that it may not be actual mechanical locking, but rather a similar sensation which could be caused by a number of different things unrelated to the meniscus.
    I’m going to put a focus on getting stronger and see if that doesn’t remedy or at least help the situation. This forum is a valuable tool for information and reference.

Where is it painful when it locks? how long does it last?

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Where is it painful when it locks? how long does it last?
    Once it catches, it releases almost immediately. In fact, after thinking about it more, I don’t think it is an actual mechanical lock. The pain location is hard to describe because it happens and is gone so quickly. It is very annoying, since it is basically unpredictable. I cannot reproduce the effect, and the ortho couldn’t either.

Does it "unlock" by flexing or extending your knee?

Quote Originally Posted by gtrfinder View Post
    My left knee has been locking up on me intermittently for the last 9 months. It only occurs when training Jiu jitsu, and generally only in certain positions. It feels like a mechanical lock, but I’m not certain that it actually is, because it unlocks almost immediately. It has never remained locked longer than a second or two. It never swells much, or presents pain other than when the even initially occurs. No noticeable instability or strength loss in the knee. I had an MRI done on the knee which showed no meniscus damage (which I thought it might be initially), and a generally healthy knee.
    I suppose the obvious response would be “stop doing Jiu jitsu” or “avoid certain positions that aggravate it”; but I am interested in the possible root causes of it.
    Any thoughts? Thank you!
    I once had an issue with my knee locking up due to a loose body inside the joint--I think a piece of cartilage or something, torn loose by a prior injury and floating around in there. Occasionally it got caught in the joint, causing my knee to lock. Apologies for my lay language here but it was a long time ago and this is what I remember. I had the loose body removed via surgery and the problem never recurred.

starting strength coach development program
    It is continuing to happen; mostly from situations like these (from the perspective of the player on bottom):

Three Butterfly Guard Sweeps Anybody Can Do - YouTube

I can wrestle on it and play from top position without issue. I think it’s just from bearing weight and elevating it dynamically from the bottom.
    Anyways, I’m going to get a second MRI this week with contrast to see if that provides any additional detail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast