starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Gets Strong | Jim Steel

Default Matt Gets Strong | Jim Steel

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have always loved the magic surrounding getting strong, especially with a relatively new lifter. Seeing them successfully lift a weight that just a few weeks before seemed impossible to them is life-changing. Once the lifter is “hooked” on this feeling, it becomes a lifelong obsession to keep challenging themselves to add more weight to the bar.

Read article

Any idea what his overhead press numbers were? Was he also power cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Any idea what his overhead press numbers were? Was he also power cleaning?

He cleaned on day 1, singles and doubles. Usually in the 70-80% range, around 225-255

Press was either a 3x5 with a light weight just for a warmup to the bench or sometimes work up to a heavy double. He can press 225-245 strict.

Nice cool history. And another article that reforces our belief in short, hard and basic work.

But there is one thing i don't understand. There is a paragraph where you say that you setted up the the training "three days a week; day one squat and clean, day two presses and day three deadlift". That was since the pandemic OR that was the training from the beginning? Sorry but because of how it is written i didn't get it right. Thanks.

Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSteel74 View Post
    He cleaned on day 1, singles and doubles. Usually in the 70-80% range, around 225-255

Press was either a 3x5 with a light weight just for a warmup to the bench or sometimes work up to a heavy double. He can press 225-245 strict.
    Jesus, seems I read that the average person PowerCleans 55% of their Deadlift. Above that is athletic. 70-80% is pushing into competitive Olympic Lifting territory.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Nice cool history. And another article that reforces our belief in short, hard and basic work.

But there is one thing i don't understand. There is a paragraph where you say that you setted up the the training "three days a week; day one squat and clean, day two presses and day three deadlift". That was since the pandemic OR that was the training from the beginning? Sorry but because of how it is written i didn't get it right. Thanks.
    That was pretty much the schedule all the way through his training, but sometimes we had to lengthen the three days out during heavy baseball training/games. So during the season, it may take him 9 days to get the 3 days in instead of a week.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSteel74 View Post
    That was pretty much the schedule all the way through his training, but sometimes we had to lengthen the three days out during heavy baseball training/games. So during the season, it may take him 9 days to get the 3 days in instead of a week.
    I got it, thanks. So he didn´t do a NLP, he skipped the novice stage and he started as an intermediate trainee using a one lift per workout schedule. Remarkable. His results are incredible. He has a stronger lower body than the proops of my rugby club.

Quote Originally Posted by LBass View Post
    Jesus, seems I read that the average person PowerCleans 55% of their Deadlift. Above that is athletic. 70-80% is pushing into competitive Olympic Lifting territory.
    Obviously Jim does not mean 70-80% of his deadlift. And name a single "competitve olympic weightlifter" who power cleaned 70-80% of their deadlift in the history of the sport.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    Obviously Jim does not mean 70-80% of his deadlift. And name a single "competitve olympic weightlifter" who power cleaned 70-80% of their deadlift in the history of the sport.
    That's not really a problem, since the majority of them don't train the deadlift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast