starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45-Incline Press as the Only Pressing Exercise? Minimalism reasons.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's almost as if we've thought about this before.
    Thought, talked, written, taught, modelled,...

To the OP, I'll suggest this: Critical thought is good, and analysis is useful. However, particularly for pursuits in the physical world, cogitation should complement experience, not replace it.

I personally screwed around over a long period of my life with exercise and training, and ultimately lost a lot of time, health, and opportunity. Later on, when I submitted to the program and ran it through, the efficacy became apparent. Do it for real, try it for a solid, genuine six or nine months, then see how it makes sense. Six months is a drop in the bucket, so the risk is low. Don't mess with it.

The experiential and the theoretical, properly integrated, are mutually supportive. Don't try to figure it out conceptually prior to the work - that's how the ancient Greeks "figured out" that rocks fall and flames rise because of the mutual attraction of their constituent elements. Made sense, seemed to work...but it was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Thought, talked, written, taught, modelled,...

To the OP, I'll suggest this: Critical thought is good, and analysis is useful. However, particularly for pursuits in the physical world, cogitation should complement experience, not replace it.

I personally screwed around over a long period of my life with exercise and training, and ultimately lost a lot of time, health, and opportunity. Later on, when I submitted to the program and ran it through, the efficacy became apparent. Do it for real, try it for a solid, genuine six or nine months, then see how it makes sense. Six months is a drop in the bucket, so the risk is low. Don't mess with it.

The experiential and the theoretical, properly integrated, are mutually supportive. Don't try to figure it out conceptually prior to the work - that's how the ancient Greeks "figured out" that rocks fall and flames rise because of the mutual attraction of their constituent elements. Made sense, seemed to work...but it was wrong.
    Jason, this reply is very helpful. And convincing. I will the program as prescribed. Thank you and everyone else in this thread. See you all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleischman View Post
    Satch, thank you for this question. You are right: the Incline Press is a seated exercise that will not train the lower body. If only (or Rip) could come up with a way to Standing 45-degree Incline Pressing...
    This seems tantamount to finding an exercise that involves standing upright while standing at a 45 degree angle to the ground. I’m reminded of discussions I had in high school about whether “If God is truly omnipotent, can He create a triangle with four sides?”

Mark’s a bright guy. Wouldn’t you rather he devoted his time to coming up with a program that increased meaningful strength without having to get out of bed?

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    This seems tantamount to finding an exercise that involves standing upright while standing at a 45 degree angle to the ground. I’m reminded of discussions I had in high school about whether “If God is truly omnipotent, can He create a triangle with four sides?”

Mark’s a bright guy. Wouldn’t you rather he devoted his time to coming up with a program that increased meaningful strength without having to get out of bed?
    Can a three-sided object be a four-sided object?

Eventually you run up against the principle of non-contradiction, even in strength training.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you pulling with your lower body in the deadlift?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123