starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength Training for Baseball: Maximizing Exit Velocity

Default Strength Training for Baseball: Maximizing Exit Velocity

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My 14 y/o son is interested in playing baseball in college. Therefore we have 2-3 years of strength training in preparation for recruitment age and curious how the starting strength program can best deliver the results he is looking for. For the sake of this query, let's take nutrition out of the equation; he eats pretty well and weighs 180lbs.

His carrying tool is batted ball exit velocity (EV) currently ~90mph which has increased around 10mph since he started training 6 months ago (not sure if solely due to training because puberty is a factor). I understand top recruiters start paying close attention to this metric for players like my son when it exceeds 100mph. I also understand that technique, strength and power come into the equation but the only strength indicators I have seen written about this allude to the 100mph mark only being achievable by players who bench more than 200lbs. This should not be a problem but I’m fairly certain this should not be the main focus of his training. I suspect the bench is only an indirect factor for generating EV.

My assumption is the low bar squat (and specifically training the hip drive) most contributes to power in the swing. My simple logic being the kinetic chain of the swing is generated from the back foot through the torso which rotates/swings the bat. Strengthening the quads, hamstrings and glutes, which seem to be the dominant muscles in this area, makes more sense to me.

I was wondering if anybody had anecdotal information, thoughts or even better a study that has data that shows how strength training has directly impacted the ability to swing a bat hard (beyond being generally stronger and having more mass). Additionally, any advice as to what my son should to aim for in the gym would be appreciated, we have not yet introduced the power clean into his training. The primary driver for the question is to maintain motivation and logic to the training process so he has the information at hand to reach his goals (not mine!).

Current stats: 5’10”, 180lb, S:230x5, B:142x5, D:325x5, chins:4, linear progression for ~6 months (1-2 times a week on average due to game schedules)

I played independent ball this year. Make sure you keep the power clean in the program. Gain at least 20 pounds and keep getting stronger. Getting strong on all the lifts matters including the bench press despite what some coaches say. To be in the 90th percentile for college baseball aim for a 435-535 squat and a 290-385 bench to give you some numbers to shoot for put up by NSCA recently.

I don't know anything about sport specific training but he's strong as hell for 14 and especially for only training for a few months. I'd say keep doing what you're doing. If he keeps going he will be a beast when he's 18. Don't worry about the bench, it will go up quickly as he matures. Not many in their early teens bench very well.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbinRobin View Post
    My 14 y/o son is interested in playing baseball in college. Therefore we have 2-3 years of strength training in preparation for recruitment age and curious how the starting strength program can best deliver the results he is looking for. For the sake of this query, let's take nutrition out of the equation; he eats pretty well and weighs 180lbs.

His carrying tool is batted ball exit velocity (EV) currently ~90mph which has increased around 10mph since he started training 6 months ago (not sure if solely due to training because puberty is a factor). I understand top recruiters start paying close attention to this metric for players like my son when it exceeds 100mph. I also understand that technique, strength and power come into the equation but the only strength indicators I have seen written about this allude to the 100mph mark only being achievable by players who bench more than 200lbs. This should not be a problem but I’m fairly certain this should not be the main focus of his training. I suspect the bench is only an indirect factor for generating EV.

My assumption is the low bar squat (and specifically training the hip drive) most contributes to power in the swing. My simple logic being the kinetic chain of the swing is generated from the back foot through the torso which rotates/swings the bat. Strengthening the quads, hamstrings and glutes, which seem to be the dominant muscles in this area, makes more sense to me.

I was wondering if anybody had anecdotal information, thoughts or even better a study that has data that shows how strength training has directly impacted the ability to swing a bat hard (beyond being generally stronger and having more mass). Additionally, any advice as to what my son should to aim for in the gym would be appreciated, we have not yet introduced the power clean into his training. The primary driver for the question is to maintain motivation and logic to the training process so he has the information at hand to reach his goals (not mine!).

Current stats: 5’10”, 180lb, S:230x5, B:142x5, D:325x5, chins:4, linear progression for ~6 months (1-2 times a week on average due to game schedules)
    Was his exit velo measured using a BBCOR or wood bat? Oo was it with a -5? Also, was it off a tee, or measured in game/BP with Trackman or Rapsodo?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    I played independent ball this year. Make sure you keep the power clean in the program. Gain at least 20 pounds and keep getting stronger. Getting strong on all the lifts matters including the bench press despite what some coaches say. To be in the 90th percentile for college baseball aim for a 435-535 squat and a 290-385 bench to give you some numbers to shoot for put up by NSCA recently.
    Thanks Eric! We are planning to introduce the power clean this winter off season and will continue working on all the core lifts. Any chance you have a link to those NSCA numbers or can paste them here? I've searched online but can't put my finger on them.

Thanks Eric! We are planning to introduce the power clean this winter off season and will continue working on all the core lifts. Any chance you have a link to those NSCA numbers or can paste them here? I've searched online but can't put my finger on them.
    Here's a better number than the NSCA can provide: 2 pounds per workout, every time he benches.

Voodoo One 33" 30oz BBCOR Bat / Wilson A1030 Baseball off a Tee measured with a Pocket Radar. Video in link below

https://bit.ly/TWITTER89MPH_DC2026

Thanks dalan, Yes he was born with a decent frame but I only mentioned age in the context of college sports recruitment which takes place when the kids are 16/17 so he really has 2 or 3 years to show he can mix it up in college. He has a 21-22" vertical jump which is decent but not a natural D1 athlete, saying that I believe he can work to get there in a sport like baseball. I agree he could be a beast but only if he keeps up his training. My aim is to demonstrate to him cause and effect of his training at a high level and I believe thats better achieved by showing him, not telling him. Keeping teenagers motivated towards a goal is arguably more difficult than the actual training itself!

Yes Sir....That is the plan. Motivating a teenager to go back to the bar, especially after failing that 5th rep of his 3rd set three work outs in a row, is the challenge.

Motivating a teenager to go back to the bar, especially after failing that 5th rep of his 3rd set three work outs in a row, is the challenge.
    Could be that his coach is fucking up. The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Is he pressing?

starting strength coach development program
    I know, he knows (and I suspect you know) it's No. 3. Open up a gym in Northern New Jersey and I'll happily write a check for somebody else to give him a hard time about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast