starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Training Hunting Dog?

Default Strength Training Hunting Dog?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After doing SS and soaking up all sorts of material from this site, there's no doubt in mind of the countless benefits to strength training for humans.

This is an odd question, but I was wondering if the same applied to dogs? I have two golden retrievers that I do a ton of pheasant hunting with. They put on hundreds of miles through heavy cover each season, and are in great shape. If it was possible to "strength train" a dog (I'm not sure how or if even possible), would they also reap the benefits of longevity, less injuries, and better overall performance?

It seems like every bit of work I do with them in the offseason is purely conditioning (swimming and running), but nothing strength related.

Two questions:

1) Is there any reasonable way to build more muscle on dogs in a more focused manner (i.e. strength training).
    2) If so, are the benefits similar to humans?

Curious to know everyone's thoughts.

Weighted sled pulling is a sport for some breeds. Look at their material.

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    After doing SS and soaking up all sorts of material from this site, there's no doubt in mind of the countless benefits to strength training for humans.

This is an odd question, but I was wondering if the same applied to dogs? I have two golden retrievers that I do a ton of pheasant hunting with. They put on hundreds of miles through heavy cover each season, and are in great shape. If it was possible to "strength train" a dog (I'm not sure how or if even possible), would they also reap the benefits of longevity, less injuries, and better overall performance?

It seems like every bit of work I do with them in the offseason is purely conditioning (swimming and running), but nothing strength related.

Two questions:

1) Is there any reasonable way to build more muscle on dogs in a more focused manner (i.e. strength training).
    2) If so, are the benefits similar to humans?

Curious to know everyone's thoughts.
    I had two Labradors Roscoe (black) and Mickey (yellow) that I used to strap sled dog harnesses onto (Manmat Guard harness), I'd get on a bicycle, hold their leashes in my left hand and they'd pull me around the streets almost every day. I think our longest day was about 10 miles. They were supremely healthy and they loved their runs, and they understood special commands for turn left/right. "Cat!" was the command to pull as hard as possible, and Mickey, especially, would pull us up long hills like a locomotive. I had a veterinarian comment on how muscular their thighs looked.

I picked up a stray pit bull for a few month and the three of them would do this together. I had to move both bike brakes to the right hand side, as they could easily drag me across intersections after feral cats with just the back brake locked up. I found the stray pit bull's owner after a few months, and when he saw her he remarked at how much bigger and muscular she had gotten and asked me what I'd done.

As far as longevity, I think that's genetic, I lost Roscoe to bone cancer when he was nearly nine. Mickey made it to almost 16 when he began to lose the use of his hind legs. Longevity is overrated. Labs are expected to live 10-12 years, so it's possible I extended his life. Mickey was about 8 years old when we stopped bicycling, immediately, once his hips exhibited signs of going. Once again, genetic, Roscoe's hips were fine.

I think the only compound movement you can do with dogs is weighted pulls. If they're pulling on asphalt their paws have to be sufficiently calloused to avoid blisters.
    Whatever way you keep your dogs fit the most important thing is that it's a fun thing for them to do. Joy is the primary driver.

Have owned a Doberman, a Springer and now an American Bulldog / German Shorthair mix and have noticed with all three that they really fill out and lean out with hard sprinting, like playing fetch with one of those tennis-ball throwers a few nights per week. The Bulldog also likes to play tug w/ a rope (big surprise there) and that seems to have helped fill and lean him out. Like John Roscoe said, if it's fun they will benefit from it because they're more likely to go all-out when they're doing it.

I’ve got a 15 year old heeler/coyote. I started putting some whey protein in with his food about a year ago because I figured his ability to process protein had degraded with age just like a person. At the time he was starting to have a little trouble getting up, the protein helped.

Good points. With regard to longevity, I agree. What I meant was, could this help push their prime hunting years closer to death than say between 3-6 years old. Could that possibly become 3-10 years old?

Some time ago, I had a dachshund that I took for long walks with a pack that sat over his front legs. I incrementally loaded that with weight to slow him down and wear him out and keep challenging him, and it worked extremely well for him all around. He became a very buff little beast and the delight of our veterinarian, who was sadly used to overweight dachshunds with spinal problems.

It's not just humans that are not physically normal in the absence of hard physical effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    It's not just humans that are not physically normal in the absence of hard physical effort.
    It has been my observation that most fat dogs have fat owners too. I believe it to be more diet related though. If a human doesn't give a shit what kind of garbage he eats, he sure doesn't care what his dog eats either.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    Whatever way you keep your dogs fit the most important thing is that it's a fun thing for them to do. Joy is the primary driver.
    True that!