starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body Composition and Bodyfat Percentages | Starting Strength Radio #181

Default Body Composition and Bodyfat Percentages | Starting Strength Radio #181

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Rip talks about people's perceptions of themselves at different bodyfat percentages and why your goal should be to add weight to the bar.

• 05:28 Comments from the haters
    • 10:56 Getting more hate
    • 18:03 Body comp and the reason humans have fat
    • 24:53 Normal vs. abnormal bodyfat percentage
    • 37:07 Body comp after you train
    • 51:26 Eating appropriately
    • 58:54 Tracking your food
    • 1:14:32 The coach's job

Implying that a lifter who is 5'9 could be 16% bodyfat at 242 lbs, like Rip, is a little deceitful. Rip was on anabolics and I think that's important to mention.

At 6'0 tall at just 220 lbs - 225 lbs I already got a little bit fluffy. probably around 20-22% bodyfat. I wasn't weak either, and could press my bodyweight, squatted 515x5 and pulled 585x5. I've never met a natural lifter that ever got much bigger than that without starting to get up into the 20%+ bodyfat region.

Since I'm suggesting a little more transparency, I'll provide some too: For the past few weeks I've been taking 40mg of Oxandrolone a day, motivated primarily for medical reasons, and the difference is insane. Even if oxandrolone is a relative mild AAS. I am starting to put on lean mass without the fat that usually comes with it. This is my first experience with PEDs and I'm blown away at what a difference it has made in such a short period in terms of aesthetics and strength. I have no plans of taking it long-term, and hoping it helps with a medical issue, but this shit just works. I imagine the higher doses of TRT may have similar effects and it's something I am actively looking into -- again, motivated for reasons outside of just getting stronger and looking better, and issues that I've posted about on this very forum.

Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    Implying that a lifter who is 5'9 could be 16% bodyfat at 242 lbs, like Rip, is a little deceitful.
    I guess you're just not as familiar with this as I am. Ed Coan is 5'5" and set his best totals at 242. He was on steroids then, just like you and me, and I don't know what his bodyfat was, nor do I care.

Every time you post, you're an asshole. Fine with me, but why? What are we doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Every time you post, you're an asshole. Fine with me, but why? What are we doing wrong?
    I'm definitely less agreeable than most and I find some entertainment value from disagreement, but I wasn't trying to be an asshole here or in any recent thing I've posted. I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Implying that a lifter who is 5'9 could be 16% bodyfat at 242 lbs, like Rip, is a little deceitful. Rip was on anabolics and I think that's important to mention.

At 6'0 tall at just 220 lbs - 225 lbs I already got a little bit fluffy. probably around 20-22% bodyfat. I wasn't weak either, and could press my bodyweight, squatted 515x5 and pulled 585x5. I've never met a natural lifter that ever got much bigger than that without starting to get up into the 20%+ bodyfat region.

Since I'm suggesting a little more transparency, I'll provide some too: For the past few weeks I've been taking 40mg of Oxandrolone a day, motivated primarily for medical reasons, and the difference is insane. Even if oxandrolone is a relative mild AAS. I am starting to put on lean mass without the fat that usually comes with it. This is my first experience with PEDs and I'm blown away at what a difference it has made in such a short period in terms of aesthetics and strength. I have no plans of taking it long-term, and hoping it helps with a medical issue, but this shit just works. I imagine the higher doses of TRT may have similar effects and it's something I am actively looking into -- again, motivated for reasons outside of just getting stronger and looking better, and issues that I've posted about on this very forum.
    What a schizophrenic post.

And did I miss the part about steroids?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What a schizophrenic post.
    What's schizophrenic about it?

Hey Rip et al.,
    Do you recommend using any of the nutritional tracking apps? Or is writing down what your eating close enough when it is necessary to try and track?

When trying to get stronger and using the performance as the relevant metric do we still need to "know" the actual calories and protein each day or is eat lots of protein and don't worry so much about the food numbers the way forward?

I don't know why they would be necessary.

Implying that a lifter who is 5'9 could be 16% bodyfat at 242 lbs, like Rip, is a little deceitful. Rip was on anabolics and I think that's important to mention..
    I didn't watch but if it was suggested that anyone could do this, I would disagree with that, partly because of the drug thing you mentioned but also genetics. Despite what some say, we are not all the same. If it was suggested that it's possible to do this - absolutely it is. Powerlifters and bodybuilders do it all the time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by randomuser View Post
    Hey Rip et al.,
    Do you recommend using any of the nutritional tracking apps? Or is writing down what your eating close enough when it is necessary to try and track?

When trying to get stronger and using the performance as the relevant metric do we still need to "know" the actual calories and protein each day or is eat lots of protein and don't worry so much about the food numbers the way forward?
    Cronometer is the best one I have found. You weigh the amount of whatever it is you are eating, then look it up in the app. It will break down exactly how many macros and micros you are getting by however many ounces or grams you put in and keep a running total. I've found it helpful to see just what 5K cal/day looks like. After a while, you get an intuitive sense of how much you need to eat and don't have to weigh every last thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast