starting strength gym

Thread: 55 Year Old Surgeon from Denver Joins 1000 lb club

Default 55 Year Old Surgeon from Denver Joins 1000 lb club

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Mike Burnham is a 55-year-old oral surgeon from Denver, Colorado. Mike joined the 1,000-pound club recently, and if he's honest (which he is), he didn't think he would get there. But Mike stuck to his coach's plan and, through the Starting Strength method, achieved gains he didn't think were possible.

Such a great advantage to actually start your training with real time, in person, Starting Strength coaching.

I watched this right after it posted. Already youtube comments on how it looks like he doesn't lift. Probably people that resemble John Candy... He looks pretty fit for 55 to me. But I worked in a machine shop for 15 years where everyone over 50 looks like they could flop over from diabetes or a heart attack at any moment. Maybe I'm the one with a skewed world view.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by LJBass View Post
    Already youtube comments on how it looks like he doesn't lift.
    Whenever I read silly perspectives in the comments, I remind myself that it's young men posting. They don't have any idea what an average 55-year old man looks like, let alone a strong one, and their perspective on aesthetics has been skewed by their social media feeds. Burnham looks solid. He's kicking ass.

You would think that after so many success stories and virtually no failures, would make strength the number one priority for older people.

I suppose anecdotes don’t mean shit but I have personally gone through my own situation (article on this website) with otherwise intelligent people who basically pat me on the head and use their lunch times to take brisk walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    Whenever I read silly perspectives in the comments, I remind myself that it's young men posting. They don't have any idea what an average 55-year old man looks like, let alone a strong one, and their perspective on aesthetics has been skewed by their social media feeds. Burnham looks solid. He's kicking ass.
    Young guys really only look at a man’s chest, as gay as that sounds. Burnham will probably hit a 300+ bench in a couple of years, which will give him bro approved boobs. He should go for the 200/300/400/500 club now.

Quote Originally Posted by LJBass View Post
    I watched this right after it posted. Already youtube comments on how it looks like he doesn't lift. Probably people that resemble John Candy... He looks pretty fit for 55 to me.
    Saw, and thought, along the same lines. I agree to some extent that Burnham doesn't "look like he lifts", but more importantly, he doesn't even remotely look like someone that "sits on the couch eating chips and drinking cokes". Great job!

Didn’t know about the 1000 pound club, and at 52 it appears I’m well in it. Yay me!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Didn’t know about the 1000 pound club, and at 52 it appears I’m well in it. Yay me!
    Yay me too !, I just joined @ 55. I also look very unassuming with a graying beard. I like being incognito with this "secret" power.