starting strength gym

Thread: One lift progressing faster

Default One lift progressing faster

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been on the LP for about a month, and I tried to search for a similar forum posting but didn't find an answer.

After a rough learning curve the first week I'm progressing just as I should. The only "problem", that isn't really a problem, is my squat seems really light.

I initially had big issues with the squat because of shitty shoulders and hips, but once I got the form down it started going up quick. I moved to adding 10 lbs per session rather than 5 after getting form and shoulders figured out. Last 2 weeks I've added 10 lbs per session but it still feels really easy compared to my other lifts.

Is it appropriate in the program to essentially find a new working set weight for the squat and restart the LP from there? I haven't attempted to add more yet but just judging from the ease of the current weight I feel like I could add 30 more lbs to total squat weight. Or should I just keep progressing and let it catch up? I don't want to break the program but also don't want to waste multiple sessions working with too light of weight

I believe this is covered in the book. From memory the old reccomendation for the first session was something like 'add weight until the bar starts to slow down'. I'd say maintain what you are doing adding no more than 10lb per session, and you can do that 3 times a week.
    Don't worry, I'd be very impressed if you could keep this up for very long.

You are supposed to take larger-sized weight jumps at the outset of the program.

Sounds good. Thank you. I'm sure adding 30 pounds per week will catch up to me quick. I've read the book a few times but couldn't recall any specific guidance on this. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelcity304 View Post
    Been on the LP for about a month, and I tried to search for a similar forum posting but didn't find an answer.

After a rough learning curve the first week I'm progressing just as I should. The only "problem", that isn't really a problem, is my squat seems really light.

I initially had big issues with the squat because of shitty shoulders and hips, but once I got the form down it started going up quick. I moved to adding 10 lbs per session rather than 5 after getting form and shoulders figured out. Last 2 weeks I've added 10 lbs per session but it still feels really easy compared to my other lifts.

Is it appropriate in the program to essentially find a new working set weight for the squat and restart the LP from there? I haven't attempted to add more yet but just judging from the ease of the current weight I feel like I could add 30 more lbs to total squat weight. Or should I just keep progressing and let it catch up? I don't want to break the program but also don't want to waste multiple sessions working with too light of weight
    What makes you think you have your squat form down?