Grindy Press/Missing reps/End LP? Grindy Press/Missing reps/End LP?

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Grindy Press/Missing reps/End LP?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    46

    Default Grindy Press/Missing reps/End LP?

    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    • starting strength seminar june 2023
    Bw 178 -182- weight fluctuates
    Height 6’0

    Press - 121 x 5 x 3 to
    Last completed
    162 x 5 x 3

    Monday -
    164 x 5 x 5 x 4 -


    Friday
    Thought i could get it
    166lbs x. 3,2


    Wednesday
    166lbs x 4 , 3
    Reduced the 4lbs
    162 x 5 x 3 and honestly it moved well, a bit grindy of the 5th rep of 3rd set


    Please give me some advice how to get my Press moving, btw i already reset from 137.5 x 5 x 3 to a 162 x 5 x 3 -
    WITH MICROLOADING

    End of the Press LP?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newtoss2022 View Post
    Bw 178 -182- weight fluctuates
    Height 6’0
    .......

    Please give me some advice how to get my Press moving,
    Gain 20 pounds.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    136

    Default

    You cannot finish the NLP weighing 182 lb for 6 feet. You will get 200 lb of BW or even 220. And probably you could finish with a 75-80 kg press.

    Tell us what are you eating. I guess you are eating few calories. Believe me, the NLP eating poorly and the NLP eating like 4000-5000 calories a day are two very different things.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Gain 20 pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    You cannot finish the NLP weighing 182 lb for 6 feet. You will get 200 lb of BW or even 220. And probably you could finish with a 75-80 kg press.

    Tell us what are you eating. I guess you are eating few calories. Believe me, the NLP eating poorly and the NLP eating like 4000-5000 calories a day are two very different things.

    I am eating around 3700 calories, i guess i have to bump it up around 5000, rather than that just do the work,


    Sir mark just a quick question,
    I have workouts like this on 2 of my LP lifts
    Example
    ### x 5 , 5 4
    ### x 5 , 3 , 2 (same weight)
    Third workout ### x 4 , 3 (same weight)
    Provided that eating and sleeping correctly, with the use of proper weight increment

    It’s a kind of frustrating
    How should i do my next workout?


    Thankyou so much,

    Also lately i have been experiencing lowback fatigue specially on my Squats and DL, and slight shoulder soreness, when pressing,

    Does this need a reset 10%?, to get a little break from very hard training, i know it’s supposed to be hard, but now it’s “very hard”

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,516

    Default

    You're not listening.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    38

    Default

    If it were me, I'd re-read the book and take notes!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    329

    Default

    I would add that if your serious about progressing, you should get a coach.
    Coaching | Starting Strength

    From my experience, LP doesn't end until much later than most people expect. Someone good with programming can help you navigate through the process of later LP.

    JMHO

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newtoss2022 View Post
    I am eating around 3700 calories, i guess i have to bump it up around 5000, rather than that just do the work,


    Sir mark just a quick question,
    I have workouts like this on 2 of my LP lifts
    Example
    ### x 5 , 5 4
    ### x 5 , 3 , 2 (same weight)
    Third workout ### x 4 , 3 (same weight)
    Provided that eating and sleeping correctly, with the use of proper weight increment

    It’s a kind of frustrating
    How should i do my next workout?


    Thankyou so much,

    Also lately i have been experiencing lowback fatigue specially on my Squats and DL, and slight shoulder soreness, when pressing,

    Does this need a reset 10%?, to get a little break from very hard training, i know it’s supposed to be hard, but now it’s “very hard”

    In my opinion, you are eating little. But it´s just my opinion.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    In my opinion, you are eating little. But it´s just my opinion.

    Reason why i am “underweight for a 6’0” i have done wrong cutting 190 to 160, as i have corrected it, now i want to get strong, i have regained almost 25lbs the at weight i loss,

    While gaining that bodyweight i started SS, dropping all unnecessary accessories, and focus on the program,

    Update on the workout

    Friday
    165 x 3, 2

    Monday
    Press - 165 x 4, 2
    160 x 5,
    162 x 5 -
    Just to make the workout good

    Today
    165 x 4, 4
    Again
    I just did
    160 x 5
    162.5 x 5
    Just want to get my sets of 5,

    What would be the clear explanation for this? Am i stuck, undertraining aka ( not enought adaptation to drive progress) ? or not recovered?

    Should i reset or moved on?

    Progression on the Press
    121 x 5 x 3 —162.5 x 5 x 3

    Bench
    237 x 5 , 4 , 3
    Last completed 235 x 5 x 3

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    136

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoss2022 View Post
    Reason why i am “underweight for a 6’0” i have done wrong cutting 190 to 160, as i have corrected it, now i want to get strong, i have regained almost 25lbs the at weight i loss,

    While gaining that bodyweight i started SS, dropping all unnecessary accessories, and focus on the program,

    Update on the workout

    Friday
    165 x 3, 2

    Monday
    Press - 165 x 4, 2
    160 x 5,
    162 x 5 -
    Just to make the workout good

    Today
    165 x 4, 4
    Again
    I just did
    160 x 5
    162.5 x 5
    Just want to get my sets of 5,

    What would be the clear explanation for this? Am i stuck, undertraining aka ( not enought adaptation to drive progress) ? or not recovered?

    Should i reset or moved on?

    Progression on the Press
    121 x 5 x 3 —162.5 x 5 x 3

    Bench
    237 x 5 , 4 , 3
    Last completed 235 x 5 x 3



    You aren´t doing the program. Do the NLP at 5x3, alternating with the bench press; like it´s estipulated in the book. Make 5 lb increments on the press, when you can no longer hold those increments, start doing increments of 2-2,2 lb. When you can no longer do these increments, start doing intermediate programming. Eat at least 4000 calories with 2,5 g of protein each kg of BW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •