starting strength gym

Thread: Technique on Off Days

Default Technique on Off Days

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My current stats are:
    6'2", 308lbs, 22y/o, Male, and I've been doing the program for a couple of weeks.
    My latest lifts are:
    3x5 Squat @ 145
    3x5 Bench @ 115
    1x5 Deadlift @ 265
    3x5 Press @ 80 (failed this)

The lower body lifts still feel easy and smooth, and I can see myself adding 10lbs/workout for another week or two before dropping to 5lbs on the squat, and adding in power cleans. The upper body lifts are absolute grinds, though, and I even failed the press at 25% of my BW.

Is there any reason that I can't stop at the gym for 20-30min on my way home today, and run through a couple of sets with the empty bar, if not a lightweight bar, with the book by my side, just to engrain the technique?

Yes, because light weights differ from heavy weights since the center of mass of the system changes and at the same time light weights don't give as much feedback, so it's easy to practise incorrect movement. Something is off here - technique, weight jumps between workouts, or you're overcoming your youth by incredibly terrible recovery practises - so show us what you're doing with video of your lifts and with history of your increases.

Understood, thank you.

I believed my recovery habits are good. I aim for 3,500cal/day with 250g protein/day and carbs and fat to fill in the gaps. My average sleep for most of my life has been about 4-6 hours, but I’ve upped that to 7-8 on average since starting the program. I don’t party and alcohol use is very rare. No other drugs.

I think my weight increases have also been reasonable.

I started a couple of weeks ago at 300lbs with the following lifts:
    3x5 Squat @ 45
    3x5 Bench @ 90
    1x5 Deadlift @ 185
    3x5 Press @ 45

I think my main issue is probably technique. I posted a bench form check in the technique forum today, and I plan on getting videos of the other lifts posted soon.

At 6"2', 300lbs, you should have lost 10lbs by now, not gained them. Check your nutrition better. Make SURE you are eating those 250g of protein and not overeating fats or carbs.
    I think a good macros division could be 250g protein, 400g carbs and 100g fats.
    You can always post on the Nutrition section and hear what Coach Santana has to say

Video?

starting strength coach development program
    Bench Form Check 11/12/22 - YouTube

This is a link to my bench form check video. I will get a press video at my next workout.