Conditioning: A Case For "Prowling" In Place, aka Pushing The Wall the HIIT Way Conditioning: A Case For "Prowling" In Place, aka Pushing The Wall the HIIT Way - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Conditioning: A Case For "Prowling" In Place, aka Pushing The Wall the HIIT Way

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    107

    Default

    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    • starting strength seminar june 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleischlight View Post
    [Isometric conditioning post]
    Fleisch, if you find iso-conditioning interesting and see it as plausible method of conditioning, I think I found a strength training methodology that fits along those same lines you might like.

    Its called RFP (funny how close that acronym is to rpe). Check it out man !!!


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    139

    Default

    My criteria for conditioning (after reading articles here about it) would be 1) effective or no point 2) doesn't interfere with my lifting 3) doesn't injure me. But I also need a way of making it slightly motivational- e.g. just get 10 lengths with the prowler done or just do 4x500m on the rower and call that a win.

    I cannot say pushing a wall meets all these criteria......

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleischman View Post
    You sure must have more insightful reason than "looking ridiculous" to discount something as valid or invalid conditioning work.

    How about you give me a good answer to the following question?
    Why do you think it is reasonable to do conditioning work with the upper body working isometrically (the actual prowler push) and you think it is unreasonable if both the upper and lower body working work isometrically (wall push)?
    If you'd do your homework, you'd have better questions. See the first two pages of the Power Clean chapter of SS and The Ultimate Strength Exercise, pt 2 and Perception vs Reality

    Progressing voluntary, unquantified action is a problem and you need progression to drive change. The Feels don't give reliable information about "pushing a wall with similar set duration, number of sets and intensity."

    You're welcome.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Because one can be viewed and people will know what it is, the other one people will view and want to add cartoon sound effects to it.

    Look if you think your right, go to a public park and find a tree (because natural is better right) and push against it as hard as you can for 5 sets till failure. Please post a form check and if you can do it well I will admit I was wrong.
    Since it's isometric and by a tree I'd be concerned of Dogs sniffing your leg and deciding to make you their territory, so I'd recommend loud grunts as you work to A) scare them off and B) protect your core from the raised intra abdominal pressure.
    Very stupid answer IMO. And unfunny. I bet Rip will think of you as "a pussy" for being so concerned about what others might think of you (you brought that concern up in your two replies). Maybe he will also also have a poor opinion of you for your misspellings and punctuation errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    Fleisch, if you find iso-conditioning interesting and see it as plausible method of conditioning, I think I found a strength training methodology that fits along those same lines you might like. Check it out man !!!
    Purposely-Stupid Answer alert!
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    If you'd do your homework, you'd have better questions. See the first two pages of the Power Clean chapter of SS and The Ultimate Strength Exercise, pt 2 and Perception vs Reality

    Progressing voluntary, unquantified action is a problem and you need progression to drive change. The Feels don't give reliable information about "pushing a wall with similar set duration, number of sets and intensity."

    You're welcome.
    Thank you for the tip. I do my homework at the rate I am able to, and seems unfair and kind of ridiculous to be expected to know everything before one can ask questions along the learning way. It seems to me that your forum-related life would be less frustrating if Rip and you did not expect all forum members to have read and watched and remember all SS materials before posting a question. Or if, on the other hand, you required forum-member candidates to prove the same knowledge and understanding as you do of SSC candidates before becoming active forum members.

    Thank you for the two links. Bill Starr's is very interesting. Rip's I had not read but did hear him tell that story in one of SS Radio episodes. Both are centered on lifting, not on conditioning, though.

    A note unrelated to this thread: I thought it was very interesting that Bill Star said at the very end that his "Three positions for any form of pressing, three for pulls, and three more for squats" isometric protocol in his view was "the ultimate strength exercise". Did you not?

    I understand your point about not being able to quantify progress when attempting to move an immovable object. While some might need that quantification in order to stay focused/motivated, others might not, so seems unfair to discount the approach just on that ground. Even more so when Bill Starr said in the same piece that although 100% effort is almost impossible to do, "with practice you can come darn close".

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleischman View Post
    I do my homework at the rate I am able to, and seems unfair and kind of ridiculous to be expected to know everything before one can ask questions along the learning way. It seems to me that your forum-related life would be less frustrating if Rip and you did not expect all forum members to have read and watched and remember all SS materials before posting a question. Or if, on the other hand, you required forum-member candidates to prove the same knowledge and understanding as you do of SSC candidates before becoming active forum members.
    Before you post: READ THIS

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleischman View Post
    I do my homework at the rate I am able to, and seems unfair and kind of ridiculous to be expected to know everything before one can ask questions along the learning way. It seems to me that your forum-related life would be less frustrating if Rip and you did not expect all forum members to have read and watched and remember all SS materials before posting a question.
    Two or three pages of reading this forum would show you that the majority of posters do just fine despite not knowing everything about SS. You're drawing a false dichotomy between knowing everything and doing essentially no research.
    Sign up for the SS Indianapolis early-interest list for exclusive content.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleischman View Post
    While some might need that quantification in order to stay focused/motivated, others might not, so seems unfair to discount the approach just on that ground.
    If you want to fuck around and do things ineffectively based on fantasy "ifs," go ahead. No one gives a shit. Your childish need for approval and retarded and false assertions - "unfair and kind of ridiculous to be expected to know everything" "your forum-related life would be less frustrating" - reveal you as a fool or a troll or worse, a gamma.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleischman View Post
    Thank you for the tip. I do my homework at the rate I am able to, and seems unfair and kind of ridiculous to be expected to know everything before one can ask questions along the learning way. It seems to me that your forum-related life would be less frustrating if Rip and you did not expect all forum members to have read and watched and remember all SS materials before posting a question.
    Let me get this straight.

    1. You came to a FREE forum run by a well-known author whose strength training books, training camps, and one on one coaching are available for $$.

    2. You have been allowed to post several ridiculous topic threads which have been replied to by the author and SSC's multiple times.

    3. Your explanation to post said topics include, but are not limited to:
    - "I don't like the way a barbell feels on my back - I need Rip to validate my idea of what to do as OK"
    - "I haven't progressed long enough in my NLP to squat my own weight, but I need to know my ridiculous idea of pushing a wall is OK for conditioning"

    My recommendation: Stop bitching on a free forum and humbly accept feedback OR pull out your wallet and pay for the seminar or a SS gym membership like a normal respectful middle aged man.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Are there any athletes in any sports that push against a wall for conditioning? Or is everyone else on the planet just too stupid to have thought of it?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    45

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Rip, thank you for this reminder. I had already read it. I honestly did not find anything in SS about why deadlifting with squat stance was unacceptable, so I created a post to ask. I also did not find anything on isometrics for conditioning, so I started this thread in order to ask. That is what "Before You Post: READ THIS" says: "ask away". I always asked courteous and respectfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Two or three pages of reading this forum would show you that the majority of posters do just fine despite not knowing everything about SS. You're drawing a false dichotomy between knowing everything and doing essentially no research.
    You are right. My statement was unintentionally fallacious, only a jerk reaction to the hostility many the responses were loaded with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •