starting strength gym

Thread: Improving Pulmonary Function

Question Improving Pulmonary Function

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Went skiing yesterday at Mt Bachelor. My strength felt great legs handled everything fine. Big problem was running out of breath. I live at 4200 feet elevation. I was skiing at 7000 feet. A year ago I did battle with Covid. Lasted about a week. Ever since I've been battling a shortness of breath. I'm 72, 5'8", 220lbs. Blood sugar(150) is is high along with high blood pressure(160 over 90). So, what are my options? I don't have problems doing sets of squats 3X5 at 220 or dead lifts 1X5 at 250. I wait about 5-6 minutes between sets. I have a Concept 2 rowing machine that I think I might need to do more cardio time with on off days.

Marty, what do you want here? You're 72, you're skiing at altitude, and you're not dead. Maybe ski more often?

Well, I always want more. I just don't want to be so damned breathless. Or maybe I'm just getting closer to the end of the road than I want to admit. I want to extend the ride. I've been skiing since I was 6. It's one of the major reasons I lift. Starting Strength has been my fountain of youth.

Did you have the Covid vaccine?

Man visits his doctor, says "Doc I'm not getting any pleasure out of sex any more"

Doc says "How old are you?"

Man says "83"

Doc says "and your wife?"

Man "79"

Doc "When did you first notice this?"

Man "Twice last night and again this morning"

Did not take the jab. Way too many unanswered questions to even consider it. I've been thinking about the possibility of asthma. Have an upcoming doctor's appointment to discuss. Been reading "The Clot Thickens" by Malcolm Kendrick. Extremely fascinating and informative.

If you believe the change in function occurred abnormally fast or you have other symptoms, you could look into cardiopulmonary function tests to try to narrow down the issue.
    Inspiratory muscle training may improve the perception of breathlessness in these situations.

I’m 30 and have had wheezing and shortness of breath ever since having Covid a year ago, so I feel you Marty

Got brave. Used my friends asthma inhaler. Best work out I've had in a long time. No wheezing or severe shortness of breath. Definitely going to look into this aspect with my upcoming appointment with doctor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Marty, what do you want here? You're 72, you're skiing at altitude, and you're not dead. Maybe ski more often?
    This is why I admire Mark. Perspective.

Years ago I remember posting to a saxophone forum. A twenty-year-old young man had completed chemo and surgery for testicular cancer and was felt to be disease free. His dream was to play baritone sax (he already played alto I think). He was worried that he shouldn’t because they’re big and heavy.

Think about that for a second. This is a young kid who was tough enough to have just beaten CANCER. Little girls like Lisa Simpson play baritone. I posted saying he needed to get up off his ass and get a bari. I like to think I have some… perspective.