starting strength gym

Thread: Too weak for the overhead press

Default Too weak for the overhead press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The wife has taken an interest in strength training but she is too weak to press my 45 lb barbell. I am too cheap to buy her a lightweight women's bar. I have a bunch of dumbells and 1" plates collecting dust in the corner of the basement. Is there any value in having her train the overhead press with dumbells until she is strong enough for the barbell? Any other worthwhile assistance exercises for those lacking upper body strength? She is currently unable to do a single chin-up. Thanks.

You cheap piece of shit. Buy the woman a 10kg bar, or I'll steal her from you.

I dunno. Every time I buy my wife a barbell for Christmas she goes apeshit. Looks like it’s back to ironing board covers……

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You cheap piece of shit. Buy the woman a 10kg bar, or I'll steal her from you.
    Thanks Rip, I will do just that. Appreciate the candor.

I bought one for my wife and daughter. Game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    I dunno. Every time I buy my wife a barbell for Christmas she goes apeshit. Looks like it’s back to ironing board covers……
    Maybe she really wants a new power rack.

If you're in a commercial gym, they usually have 20, 30, and 40 lb straight bars. They were useful for helping to work up to the empty barbell. Usually getting the bench press up to a decent amount will help too.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all for the advice, ordered a 10kg bar from Texas Power Bars. Looks like they had one on the shelf, it'll be here this week.